We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Video thumbails | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Edgars
Edgars Jun 27 '13
Hello, i have question about default oxwall video plugin. In last days after video embeding video dont make thumbails not on video page , not on wall page, but video is working. You can see in picture. I dont make any changes not on server not on video plugin.I will be happy hear what you think.

James Hart
James Hart Jun 27 '13
no video thumbnails here either.. new install.  video shows when you click on it.. but no thumbnail...  I just thought that was how it was supposed to be.  So you previously had video thumbnails?
Edgars
Edgars Jun 27 '13
Yes couple day ago i had thumbails. Do you appears on wall video thumbails ? 
James Hart
James Hart Jun 27 '13
mine are all blank.  I wasn't even looking for this question when I noticed your post.  It would "definitely" be nice to have them!  I've attached what mine look like...
Attachments:
  Capture.GIF (11.57Kb)
  Capture2.GIF (10.71Kb)
Chris
Chris Jun 28 '13
where are you embedding your videos from? I am also experiencing the same problem when embedding videos from youtube.com

Youtube has recently changed there embed codes to support full https. the code does now not include "http", see example.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F3WR_RJ9fDM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

previous videos that have thumbnails, include the http in the embed code, perhaps this is the issue? Videos embedded from other sources are displaying the thumbnails.

Also the video plugin does not support any videos embedded from facebook which is pretty poor.

I really think the video plugin needs some updates....

The Forum post is edited by Chris Jun 28 '13
dave Leader
dave Jun 28 '13

It could also be the way the moov atom(header info) is placed in the video.   If someone has converted the video some of the free converters put the header at the end of the video instead of at the top.   The youtube upload many times is smart enough to find it and move it to the top if it is not there.  But it is not a perfect science. 

What i have done to my video is placed a default image in there so that if it does not load a thumbnail then the default image will be the thumbnail, is better than looking at a black box.

Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories Jun 28 '13
How did you achieve this Dave? This is a really good idea as I think many users experience that same issue!
dave Leader
dave Jun 28 '13

special coding mod,  and even with that it is not 100 percent full proof.  I still get black boxes at times just not as much as before, there might be 2 out of 12 on a page that is a black box, the others are either def image or thumbnail. 

James Hart
James Hart Jun 28 '13
hmm...  even with the full url.. I've never had the image show...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8fXevbTDOQQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

And yes, just recently I saw where the embed code has changed as the checkbox for ssl no longer exist.  Either way.. no image... sigh.

James Hart
James Hart Jun 28 '13
Oh, here is what is interesting...  If you go to the newsfeed and paste the exact url to the video (just a link, not using the video button to embed) the screen shot shows up...  but it's just an external link going to the youtube video link.
The Forum post is edited by James Hart Jun 28 '13
Shaun
Shaun Jun 28 '13
Hi, have started having the exact same issue. Only embeding from you at the moment so do not know if other video sites are effected/

Is there a propper solution for this yet?
Anmar
Anmar Jun 28 '13
Im having the same problem. Just before yesterday the thumbnail was fine. Today i did re-install oxwall and just added couple of videos no thumb... 

did anyone managed to solve it care to share the fix.

I hope a fix will come soon.

Chris
Chris Jun 29 '13
I have done a little bit of testing. When embedding a youtube vid from the main video page, the thumb doesn't show. If I add the same video using the attachments plugin the thumbnail is included.

I then went on the try a different site. I embedded a video from xhamster.com, another video site supported by the video plugin. The thumbnail is added.

Not sure what the deal is here, but there seems to be a minor bug with the video plugin. I was getting all thumbnails from youtube videos until now.

Frank DiPietro
Frank DiPietro Jun 29 '13
We started having this problem on our site too, and I found a workaround which worked for us and got the thumbnails back. Maybe it will work for others. I wrote the details in this blog on our site. Hopefully it works for you too. Cheers.
Edgars
Edgars Jun 29 '13
Yes , that work for me ! Thanks for your really helpfull post. And waiting fix from Oxwall team.
Frank DiPietro
Frank DiPietro Jun 29 '13
Great to hear it Edgars!  :)
James Hart
James Hart Jun 30 '13
Yes, that worked for me too.  Thanks for the band-aid in the meantime. 
Shaun
Shaun Jun 30 '13
Thank you for the quick fix.

Hope oxwall will sort this out soon.
Frank DiPietro
Frank DiPietro Jun 30 '13
Cheers James and Shaun. 
Morribi
Morribi Jun 30 '13
Nice discovery... BUT Hope Oxwall correct this urgently because you can't broadcast to all users to always add http: on the link... 
Pages: 1 2 3 »