We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How can i change the single choice value from 31 to any number. | Forum

Ricky
Ricky Jul 16 '13
At the profile question. i try adding a question and  i select singe choice type but i have up to 37 values how can i change that
ross Team
ross Jul 16 '13
you can't add more than 31 values
Ricky
Ricky Jul 16 '13
is there anyway in the codes that i can do that

ross Team
ross Jul 16 '13
Topic was moved from General Questions.
Daisy Team
Daisy Jul 26 '13
Ricky, the limit of 31 values can't be worked-around because of the way data is stored. Thus, it will require quite complicated code modifications.

If you are not familiar with the code modifications, it would be better for you to find a developer who can help you with it.

Please take a look at this topic for more information: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/379
Geovani
Geovani Oct 18 '13
Hi, Daisy.

What code would I have to go to the developer to edit?
Daisy Team
Daisy Oct 23 '13
Geovani, this functionality is related to the profile questions, so you should perform all changes in the code related to the profile questions functionality.
There is nothing more to say, except that the better way to make it work is to create a new profile question type instead of changing the existing select type which limit is 31 values.
falancas
falancas Apr 25 '14
:(
John
John Apr 26 '14
One of the golden rules of database management is to refine the way data is collected. If you have 37 single choice items a member must choose from, your are probably doing something wrong.

Please remember that each user has to read ALL 37 items to make a choice and that will a lot of time. By the time he or she reaches the bottom, they will have forgotten what many of the other choices were. This will lead to frustration and some or all users will treat the question with contempt.

If you were listing all the US states for instance, is it really worth having a list. It would be quicker for the user to enter CA or whatever.

Just a thought.
Wilson
Wilson Apr 28 '14
Hey John,

In regard to your comment….“If you were listing all the US states for instance, is it really worth having a list. It would be quicker for the user to enter CA or whatever”

Unfortunately I’m using an image (state flag) (images of state flag on profile) next to the user’s state…so using the ‘text type field’ is not an option when using images next to your question. Its wroth it when using this technique because it’s totally free.  I have no problems with users choosing wrong things.

Wilson

PS..See link on how this works, I give detailed information >> http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/15398
John
John Apr 29 '14
Geez Wilson,

I have to admire you for your tenacity.  What an amazing job. Fortunately I don't have to worry about things like that where I live. Australians are not that patriotic and most Australians could not even identify their own State flag. Most (including me) would not know their State floral emblem.

Good luck.