We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Want your genders to stand out and show their gender icon? | Forum

fbkca
fbkca Oct 7 '13
Hi, 

I've always been a fan of seeing the gender icons on the profiles. You can do this by simply adding them to the appropriate LANG fields. 

For the ladies:

Female <font color="#F5A9A9"><b>♀</b></font>{text key='base+questions_question_sex_value_2'}

For the guys:

Male <font color="#81BEF7"><b>♂</b></font>{text key='base+questions_question_sex_value_1'}

There you go. 

Looks like this:

This may not work with all plugins, if they can't parse the HTML in the lang key... I think Hot List is one of them...

Ebenezer Obasi
Ebenezer Obasi Oct 10 '13
Nice one fbkca
dave Leader
dave Oct 13 '13
Did you use an ASCII code for the symbols ?
fbkca
fbkca Oct 14 '13
They are UTF8...
Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories Oct 14 '13
Very Nice!
dave Leader
dave Oct 14 '13

Just fyi for others he used UTF8 which are

U+2640 ♀ FEMALE SIGN   or  &#9792;

U+2642 ♂ MALE SIGN  or  &#9794;

Also for those with more options than just male or female here are some other options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_symbol

this one is better

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscellaneous_Symbols

The Forum post is edited by dave Oct 15 '13
dave Leader
dave Oct 15 '13

Oh sorry i was so focused on symbols i didnt even tell you all that " font " is not a legal tag and it never really was,  yes it still works but you should not use it..   When you see it, replace it.

Use inline css instead like this...

Female <span style="color: #F5A9A9;font-weight:bold;"> &#9792;</span>

Male <span style="color: #F5A9A9;font-weight:bold;"> &#9794;</span>

TransGender <span style="color: #F5A9A9;font-weight:bold;">&#9895;</span>

Sorry about that i should have caught that right off but i been busy and that font deal went right over my head lol.... yeah dont use font tag...

The Forum post is edited by dave Oct 15 '13
Ebenezer Obasi
Ebenezer Obasi Oct 16 '13
Nice Dave :) The <font> tag is deprecated in HTML 5
dave Leader
dave Oct 18 '13

Here are some others as well, some are for the "looking for" section

Fun <span style="color: #F5A9A9;font-weight:bold;">&#9786;</span>
Dating <span style="color: #F5A9A9;font-weight:bold;">&#9825</span>
Friendship <span style="color: #F5A9A9;font-weight:bold;">&#9903;</span>
Whatever <span style="color: #F5A9A9;font-weight:bold;">&#9775;</span>
Casual Social <span style="color: #F5A9A9;font-weight:bold;">&#9774;</span>
Couple <span style="color: #F5A9A9;font-weight:bold;">&#9898;</span>

dave Leader
dave Oct 18 '13

i added font-size:large;  to the span style and i changed my colors on the fun dating friendship whatever and casual social to #1c7f38  it seems to look better and is a bit clearer to see. 

Christer
Christer Oct 18 '13
great dave thanks for all the updates and of course to fbkca to,great stuff to put on site.
Kelvin {the GodFada}
Thanks dave and a big thanks to fbkca it lovely
fbkca
fbkca Oct 23 '13
Thanks for the update dave. works great and didn't know font would be depreciated. 
Austeyr
Austeyr Nov 26 '13
Love this tiny lil tweak they really do make all the difference... great share guys.
Wilson
Wilson Jan 2 '14

Confirmed  this works great and I agree with you Dave when using inline css. Much better way to mod thing’s for sure!

Oh…here it is with updated info you posted Dave using the inline css coding. I added font size to it.

Female <span style="color: #FF00FF; font-size:large; font-weight:bold; font-size: 25px;"> &#9792;</span>
Male <span style="color: #81BEF7; font-size:large; font-weight:bold; font-size: 25px;"> &#9794;</span>

always great when this community shares with others even if they don’t know a lot about inputting the right codes, again great mod!

Wilson

The Forum post is edited by Wilson Sep 10 '14
Joey
Joey Jan 3 '14
thanks for this :)
dave Leader
dave Sep 23 '14
There has been a change and it is important that you read this 

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/25386

basically it means that the fix is that you can leave the symbol but do not use the span code.

tatitac
tatitac Jan 7
밤의민족 is a must-visit for anyone exploring South Korea's nightlife. It's the ultimate guide for a memorable night out.
Sameeha Shamoon
Experience the warmth of football betting on our inviting platform UFABETโปรโมชั่นเว็บบอล. We've simplified the process, making it easy for you to explore odds and place bets. Join us for a betting journey that's not just about wins but shared excitement.