We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Help with finding code locations | Forum

dave Leader
dave Oct 21 '13

I thought this might help many of you find the code you are looking for in the script.  Maybe the team might make this a sticky too :) 

In the old days (either before it was available or before i learned about it) I used to (like many of you) trace code process and try to find the origination and it took me hours and hours to do this. 

So the best way to find stuff is to search for it right.  Thats what this tool does.

NOTICE: If you are going to do editing remember to write down what you do so when an update comes out you can put your changes back.

So to begin:

I would recommend using a great tool called agent ransack http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack it will help you find stuff.

Remember when you search for stuff in the containing text field to put it inside of double quotes " " it is not a required deal but i have always had better luck that way.

You can search for things such as "base.css" as well as other items your looking for.   One of my little tricks  is if i cant find somethng i put the lang key in the search such as "forum+post_edited" which is the last part of a lang key and it shows me where it is.

You can search for a file name and it will show you every place that file name is called in the script.  You can search for "whatever"  and it will show you every file that text occurs in.  

It is a very handy tool, and like me i am sure it will save you tons of time as well.   

You will need to have a unpacked copy of the software on your pc to search through.

Hope this has helped you..

peace

The Forum post is edited by dave Oct 21 '13
Wolfy
Wolfy Oct 21 '13
+1
Colette
Colette Oct 29 '13
+1

After spending hours looking for stuff... this little program is ideal. Thanks!

fbkca
fbkca Oct 29 '13
# grep -ir "text or function to find" /var/www/html/oxwall

:)

dave Leader
dave Oct 30 '13

Another good tool I use is winmerge  http://winmerge.org/   it allows you to compare files side by side for differences.

fbkca
fbkca Oct 30 '13
DiffMerge (All OS's) is good too. Can compare whole directories of files. It's how how I insert all my customization back into a major upgrade... 

If only I knew how to create a plugin for all my changes 

The Forum post is edited by fbkca Oct 31 '13
macallister
macallister Sep 3 '23
United Plastics is a plastic drinkware manufacturer and supplier that has been producing the plastic drinkwares and barwares for more than 10 years. And we are specialized in making kinds of plastic drinkware products. We provide plastic Tumbler Cups, water bottles in bulk and more type products. Water Bottles in Bulk
GlassRepairsinTacoma
This is probably the results We're getting all over. With thanks for your personal site, I sign up to your website. This is usually a awesome site. inches.Texas Fake ID
GlassRepairsinTacoma
This is probably the results We're getting all over. With thanks for your personal site, I sign up to your website. This is usually a awesome site. inches.Kompas138
GlassRepairsinTacoma
Whoa! Precisely what a close look opener this specific article have been to me. A lot loved, added, My spouse and i can’t loose time waiting for additional!limitlessweb.online
macallister
macallister Sep 19 '23
The a truly great place That i experienced owing to publish it all. The chances of what precisely I want to observe pray during near future you can expect to keep going meant for posting an extremely good place. chrome hearts clothing
macallister
macallister Sep 19 '23
Superb blog post. Any place strikes numerous pressing obstacles of your modern culture. People can not be uninvolved that will those obstacles. The place delivers guidelines together with thoughts. Rather interesting together with handy. vlone shirt
macallister
macallister Sep 28 '23
That you're allowed to place leaders, however is not one way links, except when they're just authorised together with regarding niche. hire dispatcher
GlassRepairsinTacoma
My spouse and i came up on your web site even though paying attention only a little submits. Wonderful technique for up coming, We are book-marking immediately use your current comprehensive soars.chrome hearts cross
SEO QUEEN
SEO QUEEN Mar 7
Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. https://hoppeduptess.com/