We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Problem with create the media content in the forum, create post. [Answered] | Forum

Marco Müller
Marco Müller Nov 25 '13

Hi

I have a problem with create the media content in the forum, create post.
The popup for video embed, embed photo and add a link does not open in IE 11. For other browsers, there is also a problem (see below).

Before the update the browser and Flash Player (Adobe, latest version), this function was in all my 3 existing Oxwall pages easily usable.

Since I am not a programmer, here are technical notes:

IE 11, when creating a post in the Forum the  popup to embed on link, photos and videos will not open.

Chrome and Opera latest version, the popup to embed the video code opens. The video is also displayed in the create post. Once you click Submit, it deletes the video code and will be published only the text without video ...

The problem is in this forum here also.

Maybe this info will help further a developer.

regards

Markus

The Forum post is edited by Alia Nov 29 '13
Alia Team
Alia Nov 26 '13
Marco,

1. Issues with IE 11.
We are aware of this issue .We don't support IE11 yet.
But will do so in near future.

2. Issues with videos.
Are you trying to embed youtube videos?
If yes, then you will need to apply FIX#1 from here http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/12080
Marco Müller
Marco Müller Nov 26 '13

Hi Aliia

Thanks for the reply.
The problem with the Media Bar in the forum not only affects the IE 11 but also Chrome, Opera and Firefox.
In none can insert a video.

Thanks for the fix, I'll try and see if this fixes the problems in Chrome, Opera and Firefox ...

regards

Marco

Alia Team
Alia Nov 26 '13
>>IE 11, when creating a post in the Forum the  popup to embed on link, photos and videos will not open.

Yes, right now ( if you don't have the fix I mentioned earlier) you will not be able to add video in any browser.

But other items ( link and photo) work for me in other browsers and don't work only on IE11.
Let me know if I got you wrong and you cant add photos and links in Firefox or Chrome.

Marco Müller
Marco Müller Nov 26 '13
Perfect ...
In Firefox, Chrome and Opera does the Forum video embedding work, with this fix perfect.

Many, many thanks for the help

Marco
Joey
Joey Jan 3 '14
Is there already a solution for this i.e bug?
S. Bourdon
S. Bourdon Jan 5 '14
Will a fix for the IE11 bug be included in Oxwall 1.6?

Thanks!

Alia Team
Alia Jan 5 '14
S. Bourdon,  fix for IE11 bug will not be included in 1.6.
S. Bourdon
S. Bourdon Jan 5 '14
Would you happen to know how to fix this bug, then?  ;)
dave Leader
dave Jan 6 '14

@S.Bourdon

Hi,  this is a total stab in the dark here i have not tested this but i was thinking about this today and again this is just a guess but it makes sense to me.  It could be as simple as adding a js version check code for ie11.  Im sure someplace Oxwall checks the ie version in js ad maybe when it comes to ie11, it does not find it so it cannot activate the items.

I am on a project now so i cannot research this too much regarding exact application and again this is a shot in the dark..

Here are some code samples to detect ie11 and more via js.

for 11 and 12 and 13

var isAtLeastIE11 = !!(navigator.userAgent.match(/Trident/) && !navigator.userAgent.match(/MSIE/));

for 11
var isIE11 = navigator.userAgent.match(/Trident\/7.0; rv 11.0/);

If you are familiar with js you might poke around to tr to find the other MSIE code in Oxwall to see if that will work by adding similar detection for ie11 to Oxwall code.  It would be a core mod and you would have to remember to do it again to verson 1.6 Oxwall but its worth looking into.

or

the quickest solution is to go back to ie10

UPDATE:

You can check out ow_libraries/browser/browser.php

it uses this open source class

http://chrisschuld.com/projects/browser-php-detecting-a-users-browser-from-php.html

and it may be that chris chuld has not updated this class for ie11 yet, just a guess.

Hope that helps.

The Forum post is edited by dave Jan 6 '14
S. Bourdon
S. Bourdon Jan 7 '14
Thank you very much for this information! It's a very good starting point!

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with javascript...

I've tried to change the following line:

else if ( stripos($this->_agent, 'msie') !== false && stripos($this->_agent, 'opera') === false )

to:

else if ( stripos($this->_agent, 'msie') !== false || stripos($this->_agent, 'trident') !== false && stripos($this->_agent, 'opera') === false )

but IE11 still refuses to cooperate! Was that the right thing to do?

I'll keep reading and trying other things on my side but if you or anyone else could take a look at this bug, it would be very helpful for a lot of us!  ;)

Again, many thanks for you help!

Alia Team
Alia Jan 7 '14
>>Would you happen to know how to fix this bug, then?  ;)

Unfortunately, no.
S. Bourdon
S. Bourdon Jan 14 '14
Looks like everybody is quite busy with Oxwall 1.6 but doesn't anybody knows how to fix this irritating bug (which is affecting Oxwall 1.5.3 AND 1.6)?

It would be very useful for all IE users out there!  ;)

Eric
Eric Apr 17 '14

Hi, newbie here using IE11 as well.

Just wanted to make a remark regarding the IE11 'bug'.... since the photo/video add works for me in IE11 on the timeline I am wondering why this would be an IE11 bug. Seems to me that the code used in forums/blogs is different from the code used to add photo/video on timeline making the difference in either a working function and a non-working function but if I'm missing things please correct me :)

BTW. This Oxwall stuff really rocks and I really hope this IE11 thing will be corrected soon for the blogs/forums as well.....

sumey drane
sumey drane Jun 12 '23

Hi Markus,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulties with creating media content in the forum. It seems that the pop-up for Adobe embedding videos, photos, and links is not opening in IE 11, and there are similar problems in Chrome and Opera where the video code is deleted upon submission. These issues seem to persist across different browsers, including the forum you're currently using. It would be helpful to relay this information to a developer who can investigate and potentially address the problem. Best regards.