We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How to translate Oxwall? | Forum

Bruno
Bruno Jul 4 '11
What better way to translate, for the user install easily?
The Forum post is edited by Bruno Jul 4 '11
Bruno
Bruno Jul 5 '11
But, when user import this language pack, doesn't work.
Julio Marchi
Julio Marchi Jul 5 '11
Hello Bruno,

OxWall has a very intelligent translation structure, which is also very simple. The best way to create a translation is to clone an existing language and modify the cloned language to fit your translation requirements. it is a very simple procedure... Simply follow these steps:

1) Login into your Admin Area;
2) Go to SETTINGS -> LANGUAGE;
3) Open the tab AVAILABLE LANGUAGES;
4) Move our mouse over the ENGLISH language. It will show a small menu of options on the right hand side. From those options click on CLONE;
5) It will open a small screen with 2 options: LANGUAGE and ISO TAG. On LANGUAGE you can name your translation, which can be anything you like, such as "Arabic", "Spanish", "English Slang" or "Klingon" (www.kli.org). On ISO TAG you must indicate the type of language you are about to translate OxWall into (so the browser will know how to properly handle the "special characters"). Here a list of usable ISO TAGs: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533052(v=vs.85).aspx
6) After cloning the English Language, you will have a new language listed under "Inactive Languages" with the name you created. Simply move the mouse over it and click ACTIVATE to have it available on the site.

However, despite of its name, it will still have the strings in English language inside. Now is when the fun begin. Simply select EDIT and change the strings as you like and, most important, don't forget to share it with us when done! :)

Let me know if you have any further questions and good luck!
The Forum post is edited by Julio Marchi Jul 5 '11
Bruno
Bruno Jul 8 '11
Thanks!
ionut
ionut Jul 30 '11

Quote from Julio Marchi Hello Bruno,

OxWall has a very intelligent translation structure, which is also very simple. The best way to create a translation is to clone an existing language and modify the cloned language to fit your translation requirements. it is a very simple procedure... Simply follow these steps:

1) Login into your Admin Area;
2) Go to SETTINGS -> LANGUAGE;
3) Open the tab AVAILABLE LANGUAGES;
4) Move our mouse over the ENGLISH language. It will show a small menu of options on the right hand side. From those options click on CLONE;
5) It will open a small screen with 2 options: LANGUAGE and ISO TAG. On LANGUAGE you can name your translation, which can be anything you like, such as "Arabic", "Spanish", "English Slang" or "Klingon" (www.kli.org). On ISO TAG you must indicate the type of language you are about to translate OxWall into (so the browser will know how to properly handle the "special characters"). Here a list of usable ISO TAGs: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533052(v=vs.85).aspx
6) After cloning the English Language, you will have a new language listed under "Inactive Languages" with the name you created. Simply move the mouse over it and click ACTIVATE to have it available on the site.

However, despite of its name, it will still have the strings in English language inside. Now is when the fun begin. Simply select EDIT and change the strings as you like and, most important, don't forget to share it with us when done! :)

Let me know if you have any further questions and good luck!

This doesn't seem to be possible anymore with the new 1.2 version...the hover options have disappeared, or is it just my site?
Julio Marchi
Julio Marchi Aug 5 '11
@ionut,

I've just double checked it in my fresh OxWall 1.2.2 installation and nothing has been changed. Seems that the problem may be on your site/browser (I'd blame the browser first).

Try a different browser, then double check if there are any JavaScript errors in your site (most browsers keep and display those reports).

Finally, if you haven't done it yes, upgrade your OxWall 1.2 to the latest version. 

If after you have done it all you are still unable to see the hover menu, please let me know.
Den Team
Den Aug 9 '11
Thanks Julio for detailed translation manual. I will make this topic sticky and locked. 
Hope this topic will be very helpful for all beginners!
This topic is sticky
This topic is locked