We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Oxwall System Bugs - Notifications Bug [To be fixed] | Forum

Omari
Omari Dec 16 '13
When a user changes his/her profile picture any old notifications thumbnails are not updated resulting in broken images in notifications list
The Forum post is edited by Alia Dec 19 '13
Alia Team
Alia Dec 19 '13
Thanks for the report Omari. I have reproduced and passed this over to development team.
Sen Projects
Sen Projects Dec 19 '13
Another bug is, if a user changed his username the all feeds of that user in the wall feed is broken because the username in the feed doesn't change also.

Thanks.

Omari
Omari Dec 19 '13
Ok thanks.  Regarding short term fixes for any kinds of issues and bugs:

I think it would be good practice to roll out fixes to support earlier versions of oxwall software like major software developers. I say major because I consider oxwall to be a major player, because of the nature of the software designed and its purpose.

The reason Oxwall CMS should not be considered a normal 3rd party application software where developers can say this issue will be fixed in the next update, is that it is a platform and it is its own operating system for any website.

Vendors build complex systems of business around the platform just like they would with an institution running Windows Xp and cannot just instantaneously upgrade to new versions of platforms every time an update is released. It's the same as running a business, upgrades need to be planned and change-managed. 

If a business purchased propriety software that only works under a certain installation of Ms Windows and this is crucial for business operations. You have no choice but to stick with this until development of the application has reached to the same level as its parent operating system or until the change team can explore a suitable alternative. 

This is the same with oxwall, you invest in systems that are specific to the nature of your business and crucial to its operation and cannot afford to change over until proper assessments are carried out and research and documentation has been prepared. Many sites also rely on development from 3rd parties and cannot depend on 3rd parties for parallel and synchronous support of their plugins. 

Oxwall is becoming a major player and growing. It will become the choice of any business/company/organization in the future, even when pitted against industry leaders like social engine.

As an open source alternative, Oxwall is providing continuous development to the point where it is developing its mobile plugin and providing it to the community free of charge. You need to pay for this from other developers in the vicinity of a few hundred USD more.

Oxwall developers care about its community and it is much appreciated by its users.

I'm sure I speak on behalf of the community when I say Oxwall software is enriching lives and fostering communities and sometime in the near future you will see its application in systems that reach such a a large scale global audience, and used for such a force of good. E.g. Communities established to help poverty and disaster stricken victims. Developers and site owners will endorse the software in such a a way that your team may be under serious stress to keep up with demand.

It is for these reasons, that I stress that each Oxwall platform version released needs to be continuously supported for a reasonable period of time, as site features, plugins and user interaction with the site will be compromised by forcing site developers to update an entire operating system to fix inherent bugs. 

The Forum post is edited by Omari Dec 19 '13
Omari
Omari May 10 '14
hi any update as to if this was fixed?
ross Team
ross May 12 '14
We planned to fix it in the upcoming release, but since there are a lot of other more important issues and fixes to be made, this will be done only in one of the upcoming releases. Because it is quite complicated as those avatar images are cached in the notifications for good. I'll keep you updated if anything comes up. Thanks. 
Omari
Omari May 12 '14
thanks  man
Simone
Simone Oct 14 '14
hi, any news for this? i have this problem...
ross Team
ross Oct 14 '14
it will be fixed in the upcoming update of the software.