We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

change member user role?[Solved] | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
chris usti
chris usti Jan 4 '14
new to oxwall, reading all 'anti spam' posts ... I opted for a few of the ideas I've seen and wanted to also use this idea:

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/11284
3. User roles – change the user roles, so that the new users can't post. ..., you'll have to change the roles of each member to normal later.
ok fine, but how do I change a roles of a member later?
I am trying to change the role of a 'test' member, logged in as admin ... there is no option under the member to change the role and when I click on the user AS ADMIN, I get "You are not allowed to view profiles"
How does a person go about 'doing' option 3?  What am I missing?

thanks in advance

The Forum post is edited by ross Feb 13 '14
Attachments:
  user.png (45.37Kb)
ross Team
ross Jan 6 '14
Chris, 

You need to remember to which member you have changed the user role and later you'll need to change the user role, manually, back, when you make sure that this user is not a spammer. 

As to this one: 

I am trying to change the role of a 'test' member, logged in as admin ... there is no option under the member to change the role and when I click on the user AS ADMIN, I get "You are not allowed to view profiles"
How does a person go about 'doing' option 3?  What am I missing?

Please, PM me your domain and admin access details, I'll take a look at the problem. 

lucia liljegren
lucia liljegren Feb 12 '14
I also don't know how to assign a user to 'user role'.

Here's what I've done so far:
1) Installed oxwall (about 2 hours ago). When that happened, a user 'lucia'  as created for me, and that user was assigned the role "free".

2) I signed up as "sockpuppet" myself, who was also assigned to the role of "free". This is the default.

3) I created a new role by going to ../social/admin/users/roles/ . I named that one "administrator".  I gave "default" and "administrator" different permissions from each other. Specifically, I removed some permissions from  "free" (assigned to the sockpuppet) and gave full permissions for everything to "admistrator".

Now I want to put the user "lucia" into the "role" "administrator".  I've clicked aorund and see nothing to let me change the "role" of a "user".  Do I have to go to the database and fiddle there?

lucia liljegren
lucia liljegren Feb 12 '14
Never mind... (I figured it out.)

One needs to:
Browse users.
Click the users user name.
Look above the avatar and find "change role"; click that.
A box opens... change the role.
:)
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Mar 12 '14
Hi there,

I by default have 4K+ members on my site as user FREE by default, then i added a new user role called premium, so i want to promote them all to Premium Role is there a way i can do that with one click instead of going to each profile as it is time consuming ?
ross Team
ross Mar 12 '14
No, you need to do that one by one. 
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Mar 13 '14
Is there a why that i can make use of a profile question depending on what they answer they get a certain user role ?
ross Team
ross Mar 13 '14
No, the set of questions depends on the user account your members choose while registration. You can set different questions for account types only. 
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Mar 13 '14
Okay thanks !!!