We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Are there any plans to do any emergency fix regarding the 1.6 fiasco/disaster? | Forum

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jan 12 '14
Are there any plans to do any emergency fix regarding the 1.6 fiasco/disaster?

This is making me feel very concerned about Oxwall and the future of Oxwall.

1.6 is clearly a disaster and a fiasco from most of what I am reading.

What were they thinking?  I am trying to keep an open mind here, but....

Steve

bobby
bobby Jan 12 '14
i think its going good just hope things get worked out on all issues thanks.... Oxwall 
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jan 12 '14
Quote from bobby i think its going good just hope things get worked out on all issues thanks.... Oxwall 

Some software authors, even free software authors "work things out" before they release defective, misrepresented, production software. But it's the thought that counts, right?

Kaan
Kaan Jan 12 '14
Steve don't update to 1.6 I've done already ( stupid me ) me site is really dead.... It don't works ( sorry for my bad english ) Or try it but make a backup
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jan 12 '14
Quote from Kaan Steve don't update to 1.6 I've done already ( stupid me ) me site is really dead.... It don't works ( sorry for my bad english ) Or try it but make a backup

I have been reading too many horror stories.  It is really a shame.

Marcel Groote
Marcel Groote Jan 12 '14
Making all works fine on smartphones takes a lot of time. If you never release any kind of versions for mobile other developers can not make it better or make there plugins workable on mobiles. So have patience and waiting will be a profit some time.

Abbey
Abbey Jan 12 '14
This is why I wait to update, I'm unsure if I ever will though at this stage, it doesn't sound worth it.. or a good idea
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jan 12 '14
Quote from Marcel Groote Making all works fine on smartphones takes a lot of time. If you never release any kind of versions for mobile other developers can not make it better or make there plugins workable on mobiles.
It is a kinder gentler practice to let people know when they are beta testing (or in this case alpha testing) rather than misleading them and causing them harm.  I have never suggested that the alpha should not have been released to plugin developers.

Sorry...

Todd Jumper
Todd Jumper Jan 12 '14

The update has totally broken my web site.

Message:SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column 'isMobile' in 'where clause'File:/home5/toddjump/public_html/shelfwarmers/ow_core/database.phpLine:331Trace:#0 /home5/toddjump/public_html/shelfwarmers/ow_core/database.php(331): PDOStatement->execute() #1 /home5/toddjump/public_html/shelfwarmers/ow_core/database.php(432): OW_Database->execute('SELECT * FROM p...', Array) #2 /home5/toddjump/public_html/shelfwarmers/ow_core/base_dao.php(89): OW_Database->queryForObjectList('SELECT * FROM p...', 'BOL_Document', Array, 0, Array) #3 /home5/toddjump/public_html/shelfwarmers/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/document_dao.php(111): OW_BaseDao->findListByExample(Object(OW_Example)) #4 /home5/toddjump/public_html/shelfwarmers/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/navigation_service.php(117): BOL_DocumentDao->findAllStaticDocuments() #5 /home5/toddjump/public_html/shelfwarmers/ow_core/application.php(173): BOL_NavigationService->findAllStaticDocuments() #6 /home5/toddjump/public_html/shelfwarmers/index.php(43): OW_Application->init() #7 {main}Type:PDOException
Pete
Pete Jan 12 '14
My friends website is running good after the upgrade check it out for yourself  http://www.mydiarybook.co.uk/index
Todd Jumper
Todd Jumper Jan 13 '14
Hmm maybe I should just delete the install and start over? 
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jan 13 '14
Quote from Pete My friends website is running good after the upgrade check it out for yourself 

Are you saying that his users with mobile devices are not having them auto detected and the users then locked out of several important features like forums and groups?   Have you been reading all of the horror stories?

Todd Jumper
Todd Jumper Jan 13 '14
This upgrade is a big clusterf#@$  .. ugh.. I might be done with Oxwall now for good :( too bad it looked so nice and has such great potential , but have had nothing but issues for months with little to no support...
Aodh
Aodh Jan 13 '14
I'm very happy tnat l didn't upgrade - l always wait when updates are released to see what others experience, and on this occasion it was the right move.

I won't upgrade the core or plugins until its proven to be all working properly. That also means that l won't be buying any more paid plugins until its all fixed.
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jan 13 '14
They should at least have the decency to go back to 1.5.3  as the official version and warn people!!!  Then let those who want 1.6 to get it as the beta (actually alpha) that it really is!
Pete
Pete Jan 13 '14
Steve try  changing your template to the same one has I am using on my site because a lot of these custom once do not work with 1.6
Pete
Pete Jan 13 '14
this one that oxwall use and it well prob be ok your site then
MarkieMark67
MarkieMark67 Jan 13 '14
Steve Winter users that have better phones can tell the site to run desktop version. They are not limited to just the mobile app.
Pete
Pete Jan 13 '14
Steve go and look at my mate Stans website  ,he his using this oxwall template ,I just changed a few things for him,look how good you can make this oxwall template  http://www.mydiarybook.co.uk/index
The Forum post is edited by Pete Jan 13 '14
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jan 16 '14
Here is something interesting: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/15824

Documented at http://wall.fm/roadmap.php

Mobile is listed at wall.fm as still being in test.

It would have been more honorable to let alpha and beta testers know that is what they are doing, eh?