We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

2nd UPDATE TO 1.7 Crashed my Site AGAIN ( SOLVED ) | Forum

Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Jul 9 '14
Does anyone know what could be the issue please help.....I had these issues :

1. 1st Update from 1.6 to 1.7 went smooth
2. Update to Newsfeed Plugin Messed Up my CSS of the Site
3. Update to Message Plugin used 4x my CPU which crashed my Site
4. Restored my Site to 1.6 to the 7th July and lost my 8th & 9th Work added
5. Tried to update the Core only to 1.7 think i wont update Newsfeed & Message but core also crushed my site...( I See white Space )

Its been 4 hours already waiting for some help...anybody.....my site is still down can someone pls help this is unacceptable :(
The Forum post is edited by Webster Molaudi Jul 11 '14
Kostia
Kostia Jul 9 '14

Quote from Webster Molaudi Does anyone know what could be the issue please help.....I had these issues :

1. 1st Update from 1.6 to 1.7 went smooth
2. Update to Newsfeed Plugin Messed Up my CSS of the Site
3. Update to Message Plugin used 4x my CPU which crashed my Site
4. Restored my Site to 1.6 to the 7th July and lost my 8th & 9th Work added
5. Tried to update the Core only to 1.7 think i wont update Newsfeed & Message but core also crushed my site...( I See white Space )

Its been 4 hours already waiting for some help...anybody.....my site is still down can someone pls help this is unacceptable :(

i made a lot of updates on my site, also that nwesfeed. So if it is CSS maybe theme developer should fix it. 

I am using dedicated server but even this cant handle messages plugin. My site is working with it but very sloooooww.. So this plugin should be fixed. 

p.s

I update website ( demo in Core) and my main site on manual, so it should work with both methods. 

Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Jul 10 '14
Hi Kostia,

I restored my site back again :( .....I use the oxwall theme origin. I think i will update the plugins then the core update later to see it that would help...I wont update the Message & Newsfeed plugin.
ross Team
ross Jul 10 '14

Guys, I understand your frustration. Let me tell you that there's nothing wrong with this update. You can go through the forum and see other members successfully updated or installed the new version. It's just your server hardware can't handle the load anymore.

It is as if you would try to install Photoshop on old computers, your PC would just crash. Here's the same deal. When you installed your first Oxwall copy of the software, you had one member, default plugins and themes, now your have more users, more third-party plugins and themes, but still the same server. Definitely you need to upgrade your hardware. In order to have a healthy, smooth running community website, you need to keep up, certainly you can give it a try on a shared account, but down the road, you have to enhance plan to VPS or dedicated server.  Now, oxwall is a complicated, structural, mature software and you need to accept this fact, go along and not against.

Webster Molaudi
Hi Ross,

Thanks for the Speedy response, to some it up :

1. The message plugin needs a VPS not a shared hosting ?
2. If i don't upgrade my Message & Newsfeed Plugin will 1.7 core update support 1.6 Message Plugin if one does want to upgrade at the moment ?

Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus Jul 10 '14
But my site is hosted on a vps
Joseph
Joseph Jul 10 '14
the old messenger plugin crashed my VPS server when it first came out they had to update it several times before it finally could be used same process will most likely follow with the new message plugin. Seems to have the same exact issues may have been the same developers working on it over at oxwall.
Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus Jul 10 '14
I didn't update any plugins before updating the core
Kostia
Kostia Jul 10 '14

Quote from ross

Guys, I understand your frustration. Let me tell you that there's nothing wrong with this update. You can go through the forum and see other members successfully updated or installed the new version. It's just your server hardware can't handle the load anymore.

It is as if you would try to install Photoshop on old computers, your PC would just crash. Here's the same deal. When you installed your first Oxwall copy of the software, you had one member, default plugins and themes, now your have more users, more third-party plugins and themes, but still the same server. Definitely you need to upgrade your hardware. In order to have a healthy, smooth running community website, you need to keep up, certainly you can give it a try on a shared account, but down the road, you have to enhance plan to VPS or dedicated server.  Now, oxwall is a complicated, structural, mature software and you need to accept this fact, go along and not against.

my server is dedicated. i had turn off chat ( also tried turn off all members on chat) , leaving just 'mail' box doesnt help too... this mailbox doesnt work correct. it slows down my website. 
The Forum post is edited by Kostia Jul 10 '14
Webster Molaudi
Im already using a semi-dedicated solution with Site ground called Go Geek - http://www.siteground.com/shared-hosting-features.htm, i do believe there is something wrong with the Oxwall Plugins, especially these :

1. Newsfeed ( Breaks Website CSS )
2. Mailbox / Message ( Uses too much CPU & Crashes Site )
3. Groups ( Refuses to update the Database )

I avoided updates for the Mailbox / messages & Newsfeed and went to groups but is it says :

Platform update request

The source code of 'Groups' plugin was updated. Need to update plugin DB.

No matter how many times i try to update Groups i always get a white space and i cant access my dashboard as i cannot do anything without updating this Database, but the database refuses to be updated :(
The Forum post is edited by Webster Molaudi Jul 10 '14
ross Team
ross Jul 10 '14
Quote from Webster Molaudi Hi Ross,

Thanks for the Speedy response, to some it up :

1. The message plugin needs a VPS not a shared hosting ?
2. If i don't upgrade my Message & Newsfeed Plugin will 1.7 core update support 1.6 Message Plugin if one does want to upgrade at the moment ?

Yes, the message plugin needs at least a VPS, if you upgrade only core then Mailbox and Newsfeed plugin won't work properly. 

Quote from Kostia
Quote from ross

my server is dedicated. i had turn off chat ( also tried turn off all members on chat) , leaving just 'mail' box doesnt help too... this mailbox doesnt work correct. it slows down my website. 

We are aware of the high load on servers due to the Messages plugin, now our developers doing optimization of the plugin, we'll soon provide a fix or update of the plugin. 
ross Team
ross Jul 10 '14
Have successfully updated software and plugins for Kumi. 
The Forum post is edited by ross Jul 10 '14
Webster Molaudi
Hi Ross,

On my end i still see :

Platform update available.

Plugin updates available: 24

Theme updates available: 1

Platform update request

The source code of 'Groups' plugin was updated. Need to update plugin DB.

The Forum post is edited by Webster Molaudi Jul 10 '14
Kostia
Kostia Jul 10 '14
off course messages plugins must be optimized..then it is off my website to open next page tooks 1-2 seconds, but then this pugin is on it takes ~10-15.. ( even then is chat off, just messages ) 
ross Team
ross Jul 10 '14
Sorry, wrong name for Kumi Festus
ross Team
ross Jul 10 '14
The update with the fixes for mailbox plugin is now in the store it should show up in your admin panel within next 24 hours. 
dave Leader
dave Jul 13 '14

@ross,

"Yes, the message plugin needs at least a VPS, if you upgrade only core then Mailbox and Newsfeed plugin won't work properly."

Am i reading this correctly, those of us on shared servers cant use the message plugin because it requires a min of VPS?  

ross Team
ross Jul 14 '14
Dave, we are doing some optimization work right now, in the meantime message plugin creates big load on the server, which most shared account won't handle. 
dave Leader
dave Jul 14 '14

Thanks for your reply ross, it just upsets me that oxwall would release this to all of us with such a condition that could affect so many in a bad way and should have been caught during the testing phase.  

I guess i dont quite understand why a rebuild of the message (mailbox) which claims to be rewritten from the ground up uses more memory in such a way that overcomes shared servers when the last 'old' version did not.  Arn't we suppose to be making things better not just prettier.  Its always nice to have eye candy but usage factors have to come first.  This is not about you ross, i appreciate your honesty bud.  Why would they push this out the door not known that issue, or if they did know, they did it anyway.  Why the rush? 

If Oxwall plans to only be available for VPS, if that is the goal then oxwall will lose a 'ton' of users to another script.   And i will also have to find something else for  my clients because they will not be happy and i have to keep their business.  It affects the bottom line with so many people and i hope the dev's understand that when they put something together.  What they do effects our income.

I am begging Oxwall to please keep the base Oxwall version streamline and without such issues.  If someone wants to add some plugin that takes a zillion MB to run then let them, that is on them.  But please do not include such things in the base core version.  

If the issue cannot be resolved i suggest going back to the older version of mail-box with a patch and rethink how the new mailbox version with message is put together.

Thanks  :)

Simone
Simone Jul 14 '14
Hi Dave, I think Oxwall team works hard to keep this CMS free.

They do not ask you any money.

Oxwall is the best CMS i've ever seen.

I try Ning, Elgg, Joomla community builder and other CMS and this is the best and the cheaper.

If you want you can try CometChat for your message or ask a developer to build for you a message plugin.

But please, here you can tell your bugs but not complain they work. If you have a businnes site you can try other way software (at least 1500usd).

Sorry for my english..

Thank you

Pages: 1 2 »