We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

"Show only online users" not working on chat. [Solved] | Forum

Kev
Kev Jul 10 '14
Hi guys,

I've just updated my main site to 1.7 but there's a problem with the chat window. It's showing all members just fine, but when I hit the button to "show only online members" it doesn't show all users. I know there are members online as the number at the top of the chat window is 4.

I'm not sure if this is an Oxwall or theme issue, although my theme has been updated to coincide with the 1.7 release. I've attached a couple of screen shots so you can see what I mean. I don't think it's a theme issue as I can see some members as being online.

Is it something I'm missing?

Thanks,

Kev

The Forum post is edited by ross Jul 11 '14
Attachments:
  online-members.PNG (8.09Kb)
  all-members.PNG (25.51Kb)
Kev
Kev Jul 10 '14
Update:

I've noticed that when I scroll through the entire list of members when all members are on show, then change to "online only" I can see everyone who is online. So it looks like it's some kind of caching issue with Oxwall.

Simone
Simone Jul 10 '14
it's a oxwall 1.7 problem, they're working on it

ross Team
ross Jul 10 '14
Kev, can you please try to reproduce that on demo? Also we would like if you provide us with the steps how we can reproduce that on our websites. 
ross Team
ross Jul 10 '14
The update with the fixes for mailbox plugin is now in the store it should show up in your admin panel within next 24 hours. 
Kev
Kev Jul 11 '14
Thanks Ross,

So do you still need me to try and replicate it on the demo?

ross Team
ross Jul 11 '14
Do you have that issue even after updating the plugin?
Kev
Kev Jul 11 '14
Nope, seems to be working fine now. Thanks for the quick fix!
ross Team
ross Jul 11 '14
Alright, I'm going to mark this post as Solved then. 
Rob
Rob Apr 1 '15
I'm getting this issue on 1.7.2 and just have a Messages plugin, not a Mailbox one.
ross Team
ross Apr 1 '15
Rob, what is your Mailbox plugin version? you can check that in ow_plugins/mailbox/plugin.xml file the build is indicated there. 

So that an online user appear in chat you must have a conversation with that user previously or be friends with him/her. If all that is met, please check whether your cron job is properly configured. There are a lot of posts related to the cron issue. Please follow this link: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/section/2/search?&q=cron%20is%20not%20working and check the solutions in posts. 

ross Team
Rob
Rob Apr 2 '15
Mailbox plugin is 8524 according to the XML file. And I see lots of people in chat who I'm not friends with. In addition, chat message notifications remain permanently (as in right now I have 6 notifications that never go away, because 6 people have chatted to me instead of PMed me).

I installed Oxwall via Softaculous on my host rather than manually, so didn't set up the Cron job. I don't see an error file in the ow_cron folder (just run.php). I just manually ran Cron and it did fix the number of users online (good), so I guess cron isn't working (bad), but it didn't fix the number of notifications I've got for Chat messages.

I'm afraid I know nothing about cron jobs, but I had a look at the cron job script in CPanel and it looked like it was confused between my main account domain and my addon domain where I have Oxwall installed.

I changed it to read as below and I guess I now just wait to see if it fires automatically:

*****wget -q -O /dev/null http://www.mywebsite.com/o/ow_cron/run.php

ross Team
ross Apr 2 '15
Rob, please make sure that all those chat messages are read. Go to the bottom of the conversations list. Also you can use the bulk option here: www.site.com/messages and mark all chat conversations or all your conversations including PM as read
The Forum post is edited by ross Apr 2 '15
ross Team
ross Apr 2 '15
As to the cron, please check this tutorial: https://docs.oxwall.org/install:cron to configure your cron jobs properly
Rob
Rob Apr 2 '15
Cron looks like it's configured correctly according to that document. I'm guessing my host (A Small Orange) allows wget CronJobs since it's set up via the CPanel they've given me.

As for chat notifications: I've tried everything. Bulk marking as read included. If I go to /messages/ then all of the things with a mail icon work fine. All of the things with chat bubble icons seem to remain as notifications no matter what I do.