We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Spamming Oxwall sites | Forum

Karl Pietsch
Karl Pietsch Jul 26 '14

Many oxwall sites are being used by spammers. They are targeting other oxwall sites with spam backlinks to damage your SEO.  You should disavow links from these sites. If you own then, please block the spam users.

[urls removed]

The Forum post is edited by Karl Pietsch Aug 4 '14
Karl Pietsch
Karl Pietsch Jul 28 '14

Actually a lot of them have spam associated with this website

52weekturnaround .com 

If you have auto blogger on your site, be careful! even if you block a user autoblogger plugin will keep posting spam! 

tammy harris
tammy harris Jul 28 '14
What auto bloger plugin
Karl Pietsch
Karl Pietsch Jul 28 '14
I could keep going with these lists! So much spam!
Pete
Pete Jul 31 '14
What a good way Karl to post links ,and get away with it .All these links or oxwall sites ,and I would bet my life on it they or your websites
The Forum post is edited by Pete Jul 31 '14
Karl Pietsch
Karl Pietsch Aug 4 '14

I guarantee they are not my sites, The owners of these sites are not responding to email requests to remove the spam.

Oxwall admins should know who owns these sites.

Karl Pietsch
Karl Pietsch Aug 4 '14

I've removed all the links, but oxwall really needs to take blog spam seriously it's making everyone targets.

There are hackers doing bulk google searches specifically for oxwall blogs.

John Michaels
John Michaels Aug 5 '14
Our site is member only , you have to sign up to even go past the front page and a great feature is the CAPTCHA , has reduced my spam by 80% !! Most spammers use robots and robots dont know how to answer the captcha questions.
Sean
Sean Aug 6 '14
Actually, John, having worked in SEO I can tell you that programs such as GSA do now come with built in CAPTCHA solving (for many various forms of CAPTCHA), and on average they have a solve rate of about 75%, so you need to rely on other things apart from CAPTCHA.

I would recommend changing your user role settings so only verified members can post blogs and forum posts etc, this will stop any automated scripts joining your site and posting spam.
Karl Pietsch
Karl Pietsch Aug 6 '14

I agree with sean, but more security should be the default for all blogs.

These hackers know how the site works, they probably know about the signup honeypots too.

On most oxwall sites its too easy to spam and because of that oxwall blogs are targets for spam, even if they don't post on your site they will add you to their spam ring list and start posting links on more open sites to your site while trying to gain access to yours.

John, are you aware you have backlinks on other sites saying your bullseye radio is for these topics:

botox

financial planner

remote desktopremote desktop

cheap carpets

ralph lauren tshirts sale uk

pay day loan

spick up artist book collection tpb

reductionâ

tax return estimator

odwiedź stronę autora

diy pergola attached to house

flirt prom dresses 2014

how long does a v2 cigarette last

jugar the snake charmer gratis

individuelle usb werbeartikel als usb-sticks.

..... and many more

The Forum post is edited by Karl Pietsch Aug 6 '14
Karl Pietsch
Karl Pietsch Aug 18 '14

this user agent seems to be a culprit

"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; FunWebProducts; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; PeoplePal 6.2)"

Karl Pietsch
Karl Pietsch Aug 18 '14

also ask toolbar?

(compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; MRA 5.8 (build 4157); .NET CLR 2.0.50727; AskTbPTV/5.11.3.15590)

this user agent and funwebproducts toolbar mentioned above make repeated requests for my custom join page and ajax-sign-in pages and individual blog pages but request no extra files, no js or css or image files

Karl Pietsch
Karl Pietsch Aug 19 '14

The exact same hosts have now changed there UA to IE7,  I'm going to start blocking them other ways.

Also, after blocking the other UA's one of them tried to access /antispammer on my server, they obviously know oxwall plugins and are probably  reading this post.

Good luck stopping them, sorry but i'm not going to provide any more feedback.

The Forum post is edited by Karl Pietsch Aug 19 '14
Abbey
Abbey Oct 11 '14
I have found changing to the other captcha in the store has stopped the spammers and after reading a post on a software scam site I changed all my math equation questions to word as there was a direct reference to my site and these questions specificly and the word ones are harder to bypass according to this person.

Karl Pietsch
Karl Pietsch Oct 13 '14
@Ana  I can assure you I am reporting legitimate and systematic unsolicited abuse. And you sound like one of the culprits due to your admission of running a "link exchange"