We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Photo Plugin Bugs | Forum

Omari
Omari Aug 3 '14
1st Bug  - After testing on Oxwall's Demo site and my site:

Trying to upload larger picture files (4 to 10 mb) you get a "timeout error". 

I also notice if you select a larger amount of smaller files (15 and more) ranged 100k to 1mb) you also get a timeout error.

2nd bug is outlined here with cloud files:

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/22346

Some suggestions: 

Please try a better method of client side compression before upload ....e.g. integrating the html5 canvas method. Or do what Facebook does to compress these larger user files on the fly. (Users are not going to compress their photos then return to upload them)

Also remember on mobile camera pictures range from 2.8 to 6mb on mobile phones. As oxwall is not a native phone application you need a way to have this compression on the fly. Otherwise uploading photos on mobile jsut doesnt make sense...

A progress indicator is also necessary on mobile for adding photos. Users will be confused as to if the photo is uploading relying just on the progress indicator of the webpage.

This plugin does not handle uploading multiple files greater than 2mb. 

The new version of Photo plugin is a highlight for the new update and the future of oxwall please make it a priority as it is the centerpiece of any social network

The Forum post is edited by Omari Aug 3 '14
Alia Team
Alia Aug 5 '14
Omari, thank you for your report. I will check this and will get back to you shortly.
Alia Team
Alia Aug 5 '14
Omari, what is the upload_max_filesize and max_execution_time values in your php.ini ?

I have tried to reproduce reported issues ( except the one related to amazon) with no luck so far. All photos of various large sizes get uploaded fine.

Omari
Omari Aug 6 '14
hi i set all values to unlimited. 

but I have reproduced the issues on your oxwall demo site. Say for example someone just took 10 photos... average size 4-5mb and tried to upload them, you would get a timeout error.

Omari
Omari Aug 6 '14
if you have varying files sizes say 6 files at 300kb and 4 files at 5mb...those larger files would time out.
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 6 '14
on fly compression is a must i just tryed upload a photo from my samsung 4s that has a 12mp camera and it took forever to upload it 
Alia Team
Alia Aug 8 '14
Omari, seems like this issue is related to your connection speed. I have uploaded 10 images ( each 4Mb) and all went well.

Regarding on fly compression, thank you for your suggestion. I have passed this over to our product development team.
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 8 '14
way cool
Omari
Omari Aug 9 '14

Alia, if this is a problem with my connection speed, then what would occur is that my uploads will just take very long but they will eventually be uploaded. They will not time out.

(my connection speed is 10mbps down 1mbps up)  

please understand that I have tried this and a lot of my users have tried this as well. I have also tried it on a 5mbps up connection. What happened here is 6 out of 20 5mb photos got uploaded, while the rest timed out. 

As I said if I am on a slow connection then they should eventually upload... just take longer. 

Maybe because you are on a very fast connection you cannot reproduce the error... but it exists.

I can also upload 60 13mb photos to Facebook easily without issue.

I also tried with Sergey Kamblin's Attachments plugin. 

It took a while, but all photos - 10 5mb photos were successfully uploaded, (they did not time out) 

Perhaps there is some termination error for scripts taking too long within the code that causes the timeout... i'm not sure... But I am also able to reproduce the error on Oxwall's demo site..... from different locations and at different connection speeds.

As shown in this screenshot (taken from Oxwall's demo site):

---------------------------------------------------------------

On a separate but related note:

With regard to the on the fly compression I spoke about, from what I understand reading up, is that this compression is done client side and can be done through javascript... (maybe that's how we are able to upload 60 13mb photos to Facebook easily) Allowing for any average user to upload any size photo regardless of size.

I'm sure you guys will find the best way but development may want to check out these techniques: 

http://www.plupload.com/

https://github.com/brunobar79/J-I-C

where:    

To compress the image, first it converts an image object to canvas and then compress it with the canvas method toDataURL(mimetype, quality)

Then to upload the image object it uses the XMLHTTPRequest method sendAsBinary and sends the data url of the compressed image to the server 

The Forum post is edited by Omari Aug 9 '14
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 9 '14
cool somthing is need especial for mobiles modern mobile have hd quality video and photos 13 mp and above that one photo is huge and mobile conections are slow i ask few members to try on there phones to upload a pic and every one of them give up on waiting
The Forum post is edited by tammy harris Aug 10 '14
ross Team
ross Aug 11 '14
Omari, we still cannot reproduce the issue. It obviously has something to do with your connection, because if the photo upload was not successful within 30 seconds then you get timeout error only. 
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 11 '14
yes ross thats the point on slow connections ie try upload a pic from a mobile on mobile conection get error on slow line network get error that why the on fly thing would be good 
Omari
Omari Aug 11 '14
Ross, is there some way to prevent the script from timing out in the meanwhile and just continue the upload?
pit
pit Aug 11 '14
in ftp connections this problem is because the server have a latency time to be enabled connections and the upload need to finish in this time or connection close. Some ftp programs force reset the latency time on middle of upload threads to enlarge the connections without broke connections. 

Maybe is the same here.

(sorry for my english)

Omari
Omari Aug 11 '14
no its not a server issue. it happens on oxwall's demo site as well. As Ross indicated the upload times out after 30 seconds. So its a script problem. I am looking for a way past that. 
SpongeTort
SpongeTort Aug 28 '14
Greetings,

I'd like to add to Omari's bug and verify that the same issue occurs on my site also.
It appears that there is a 60 seconds timer after which the uploader times out.

I tested the link by uploading the same picture via the Blog, and this was uploaded in 2.5 minutes without timeout.  The photo is 3.5MB

Photo plugin is Update #7650

Attached is the error from Chrome Developer Console after the failed upload.

Attachments:
  oxwall_photo_timeout.PNG (7Kb)
ross Team
ross Aug 29 '14

Omari, 

php besides "post_max_size" settings (which we used) for defining max upload size, has "upload_max_filesize"setting. Now we use them both and this fixed the timeout error, we tested that on a shared account, with a lot of users online and in total. We could not reproduce the error either

I tried to upload the images you sent me to the demo, no error as well. 

Now, the photo uploading process work on the server side, which is why it became a little bit heavier, in terms of resources, however this should not create any difficulties for uploading 

You were saying about slow connection, we have 1mb speed at our office, and as I noted earlier I could not reproduce the timeout error with your images. 

Also there's a possibility that your provider limits the connection time and you always run into the exact period when it is closed. 

We cannot guarantee speedy work of the software features if you use for example dial-up connection. I believe this is obvious. 

Spongetort, 

can you please try to upload these images on demo.oxwall.org and see if there's a timeout issue as well?

tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 29 '14
roos its not service providers because can upload huge videos no problem 
try upload a photo taken with a modern phone at over 12 mp on mobile connection 

all other site scripts no worries can upload it from your phone but oxwall no 
get error 
when theres lots of users at my home connection so my home net is run slow on upload big image from my laptop give the error 
Omari
Omari Aug 29 '14
ross,

is 10mbps download and 1mbps upload a dial up connection speed?

have you tried to reproduce the error on a slower connection speed outside of your office?

As I stated earlier I have tried this on 3 diff internet service providers. 

it has nothing to do with shared hosting or server load it has to do with the photo plugin script.

And also with Sergey Kamblins Attachments Plugin I can upload any amount of any size photos fine. It may take a while depending on the size of the photo but there is no timeout. In fact with any upload of any kind anywhere else in the whole of Oxwall there is no timeout, except inside this Photo Plugin. 

We keep going back and forth for weeks. As you can clearly see from screenshots there is a red message that says timeout when things timeout. Oxwall put that error message in there to indicate that something timed out. If you can find the condition that causes the error message to appear and remove it we can fix this problem.

Also you have made no mention of the other bug that u assured me would be fixed which is album covers working under amazon s3.

The Forum post is edited by Omari Aug 29 '14
SpongeTort
SpongeTort Aug 31 '14
Hi Ross,

I was able to replicate the problem on demo.oxwall.org, attached is the screenshot from the Chrome developer tool.

The OxWall server is hosted on a shared server with S3 data storage, which works quite well.  I have customised the php settings as follows (in .user.ini):

-----upload_max_filesize = 40Mpost_max_size = 40Mmax_execution_time = 240max_input_time = 240

-----

I tried changing the "timeout" value in ow_plugins/photo/static/js/upload.js to something bigger with no avail.  (just blindly trying something to see if it did anything)

-----                    $.ajax(                    {                        url: _vars.actionUrl,                        data: formData,                        cache: false,                        contentType: false,                        processData: false,                        type: 'POST',                        timeout: 60000,

--- 

I have uploaded the photo here, purely to confirm it is not an Internet connection issue

Photo size is 3.54MB

Attachments:
  Upload_timeout_from_demo.jpg (44Kb)
Pages: 1 2 »