We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Chat tab vs. screen size | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Development » Themes
Curtis
Curtis Aug 5 '14

Hi,

I have the default Oxwall chat tab on my site (the AJAX one) and I have a responsive theme, so I don't use the Oxwall mobile section. The chat tab takes up valuable space on mobiles and doesn't have enough space to function properly, so is there any way to make it go away on mobile devices (specifically devices with very small screens)? Bonus points if anyone can tell me how to make a page that would have the AJAX chat on as the whole page for mobiles (although I doubt that's possible)!

Thanks!

tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 5 '14
you can fix it in ccs but better ask the dev of the theme 
Daisy Team
Daisy Aug 5 '14
Topic was moved from General Questions.
Curtis
Curtis Aug 5 '14
The dev of my theme has pulled their theme from the Oxwall store. How could I do it in CSS?
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 5 '14
look in admin theme ccs and find ccs for chat and and mod it then include it in @media480  ccs
Curtis
Curtis Aug 5 '14
That made it show on mobiles only.
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 5 '14
i did not say cut it from main ccs and past in @media480

i said get the ccs for chat and mod it and put in @madia480
Curtis
Curtis Aug 5 '14

I'm assuming by CCS you mean CSS. What do you mean by "mod it"? What modifications need to be made? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie at CSS.

tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 5 '14
im no ggod at it as well but i use inspect element and firebug  you can work the css in ya browsers  play with different sizes until you happy with it 
Curtis
Curtis Aug 11 '14

Hi,

To some extent what you said worked, but now on small screens chat just shows up without any styling... Is there any way to completely hide it on small screens?

Thanks!

Curtis
Curtis Aug 11 '14

Hi,

To some extent what you said worked, but now on small screens chat just shows up without any styling... Is there any way to completely hide it on small screens?

Thanks!

Curtis
Curtis Aug 11 '14

Never mind, fixed that with

@media (max-width: 624px) {
.ow_chat {
    display:none;
}
}

Thanks for your help!

tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 11 '14
cool
Curtis
Curtis Aug 12 '14
Nope, stopped working again as soon as I sent it live. Is there any easy way just to make that code hide on mobile? Maybe one of the Oxwall team can help here?
Curtis
Curtis Aug 12 '14
Never mind, just disabled Chat and made it into a private messaging system.
Yevhen
Yevhen May 25 '16
Add this code into www.yoursite.url/admin/settings/page (but not in Edit CSS page!):

<style>@media (max-width: 480px){.ow_chat_list {    height: 250px;}}@media (max-width: 768px) and (min-width: 479px){body .ow_page_wrap .ow_header {.ow_chat_list {    height: 250px;}}</style>

This will bypass css code in plugin body, as it is not added in main.css and cannot be bypassed normally. Good luck!