We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

A serious problem in the script! Thank you Oxwall !!! | Forum

ross Team
ross Aug 25 '14
Guys, thank you for your reports we have passed it to our developer team, however the fix require refactoring of the newsfeed code, which is why it will be implemented in the next update of the software only. 
drstreet
drstreet Aug 26 '14
thanks , waiting for good news.
Hadi Kamell
Hadi Kamell Aug 26 '14

Quote from ross Guys, thank you for your reports we have passed it to our developer team, however the fix require refactoring of the newsfeed code, which is why it will be implemented in the next update of the software only. 

thanks dear ross :)
drstreet
drstreet Aug 29 '14
one week later without response ! guys my site and very oxowall site have this problem ! u should check it and try to release new version! 

one week my site is close ! because u did not send any helper reply!!!

Wilson
Wilson Aug 29 '14
drstreet,
Quote from ross Guys, thank you for your reports we have passed it to our developer team, however the fix require refactoring of the newsfeed code, which is why it will be implemented in the next update of the software only. 
that's was the response, Ross is telling you it will be implemented in the next update of the software only. Now "when" that will be is undetermined at this point. Might be at least 1 or 2 months before they do another "core" update. 1.7 came out on July 8th and now 1.7.1 on August 25th so it may be some time before the new release.

And again I'm not having this issue and I have updated two different web site for my clients with no issues.

Wilson
drstreet
drstreet Aug 29 '14
ow common wilson! again!? :| 

you dont have this isssue because u upgrade from old versions ! 

if you want sure about this issue download now 1.7.1 version and install it in your local host or another... ! 

with this bug oxwall need new version or bug fix version! can you handle it? :|

Wilson
Wilson Aug 29 '14
hey drstreet,

Well its funny you said that because I just did a "FRESH" install of 1.7.1 version and have NO issues regarding "a user can delete a comment and or a post" at all. I've done this both ways now with NO issues...sorry just posting my results for the dev team.

Wilson
drstreet
drstreet Aug 29 '14
lol ! really ?! your new installed site without issue because you dont know how bug work ! 

just see the last attachment ! 

i think ross saw and then send a reply! i promise to you it's big bug ! 

not just in my site ! i test it on 18 other site too ! :))

do you wanna test your site? just send a prv msg and your link ! 

ben
ben Aug 29 '14
Bug confirmed, both on new installation and upgrade. good job!!! user can delete admin status
The Forum post is edited by ben Aug 29 '14
ben
ben Aug 29 '14
you only need to like the status
ben
ben Aug 29 '14
anyone can delete anyone status, oxwall should release quick fix for this or someone able to delete everyone status

bad news for all oxwall site
The Forum post is edited by ben Aug 29 '14
Norias
Norias Aug 29 '14
confirmed too :(
drstreet
drstreet Aug 29 '14
ow thanks god , some one accepted me ! :| 

thank you ben, thank you youzeur , thank you hadi kamel ! 

Wilson
Wilson Aug 29 '14
Ok...are we taking about "anyone can delete anyone's status in the "Newsfeed" only or every plugin anyone can delete anyone status? Because I have tried as the member "TEST" on a demo site and I can NOT reproduce this issue. I can only delete my "TEST" status...even "liking" there status, comments, photos everything. I can only "TEST" status.

Also, drstreet
Quote from drstreet dear wilson, i tested the demo version but we don't have this bug there! 

but when you download is this link http://www.oxwall.org/download and install then u see there is a bug on your installed version. i tested 1.7 and 1.7.1 on different host too ! 

i take new video step by step ! download - install - create normal user - delete posts! 

i test delete post on four persian popular oxwall site !!! all of them update version too 1.7.1 !!!

How come you could NOT reproduce this issue at http://demo.oxwall.org/ ?

Wilson

update: just tried to reproduce this issue as well at http://demo.oxwall.org/ Please read my post there and see the results. Also try to reproduce the issue there by deleting my post regarding this issue.

FYI: Don't login as "demo" or "Admin" because you already have those rights. login as a new users.

Wilson
The Forum post is edited by Wilson Aug 29 '14
Sean
Sean Aug 29 '14
I can confirm that after updating users can delete other users comments in the newsfeed - even an admins comments.

They can't however delete other users comments if they actually go to the group etc, they can only do it from the newsfeed.

This is pretty serious as it makes comments useless, it should be fixed as a matter of urgency and not made to wait until the next major release.
The Forum post is edited by Sean Aug 29 '14
Wilson
Wilson Aug 29 '14
hey Sean,

But not all of us are experiencing this issue that's what is strange. You can not reproduce this issue at http://demo.oxwall.org/ as I have tried and at my own test site...so again not all of us are  experiencing this issue. That's all I'm trying to say here guys.

Wilson
Peatech LLC
Peatech LLC Aug 29 '14
I've reported this exact bug about a month ago when I made a fresh installation of Oxwall 1.7 (brand new install) and the only added 'third-party' plugins were from other Oxwall core developers.

First, this problem seems to occur if the user viewing it is included as a registered user in that story (a liker/commenter of it). For example, say we have USER A upload a photo and USER B likes it.

After the refresh, USER B will see the 'USER B liked USER A's photo' status. They can hover over it, and the arrow for newsfeed controls will appear. When that is hovered over, USER B now has the option to 'Delete Post,' (and If I recall correctly they can even delete the user?), and if they click it it not only deletes the separate newsfeed item created for "USER B liked USER A's photo" but it deletes USER A's photo as well - including all comments included with it.

This same thing happens for liking/commenting a status or newsfeed item of any kind. This has lead me to believe it's a problem with the way user controls for the Newsfeed plugin interacts with the User. When a User on Oxwall likes/comments on a post, a new post is made saying things like "USER B commented on USER A's status," however in older versions (before 1.7 and 1.7.1) after it created this new item the original liked newsfeed item was still left on the creator's profile. Meaning that "USER B commented on USER A's status" was a action performed by USER B but the item belongs to USER A, allowing USER A to delete that new item while the commented content's original counterpart still existed.

After thinking of this, it lead me to believe somewhere in updating the code for Newsfeed (or overall user controls for the newsfeed items) got mixed up when working on 1.7, causing the plugin to switch the owner state of any newsfeed item to be owned by the USER who performed the action. This means, if USER A posts a status and then USER B comments on it, it will create the 'USER B commented on USER A's status" item, and because USER B performed the action it will think USER B is the item owner, so he can delete (opposed to the old way before any 1.7.x where the original content poster could delete it). In this mix, we go a layer deeper and can assume the code for item deletion is messed up as well, so when USER B deletes the "USER B commented on USER A's status" item, it's newsfeed ID (might be?) is attached to the original content as well, thus deleting User A's status because the system believes it belonged to USER B after he commented.

So, giving all of this I think the Oxwall devs were simply trying to change the way controls for users worked so that a user who commented on something can delete the new newsfeed item saying they commented, however along the lines the system deletes the original content with it as well. If what I said was the true intentions for an update, I would advise against it as it's still not clever for the user's sake.

Versions this was confirmed by me and tested on:

Some replies..

Quote from Sean I can confirm that after updating users can delete other users comments in the newsfeed - even an admins comments.

They can't however delete other users comments if they actually go to the group etc, they can only do it from the newsfeed.

This is pretty serious as it makes comments useless, it should be fixed as a matter of urgency and not made to wait until the next major release.

I've tested and confirmed this bug on 1.7 and 1.7.1, but on my install comments on any posts are not effected (unless the person commenting decides to delete the posts that they commented on said item, deleting all related content). I guess this bug differs, especially since a lot of different plugins interact with the newsfeed.

Quote from Wilson hey Sean,

But not all of us are experiencing this issue that's what is strange. You can not reproduce this issue at http://demo.oxwall.org/ as I have tried and at my own test site...so again not all of us are  experiencing this issue. That's all I'm trying to say here guys.

Wilson
Everyone's setup is different, some have this problem (which I believe might be the majority of us) while others don't. In this case, you don't have it (lucky! :D ) but that still doesn't rule out that it shouldn't be fixed or claimed to be a problem on one person's side.

Great to hear it, must be a annoying little bug for all of that to be done. However, I'd like to suggest you list this somewhere as a sticky topic on a forum or on the "DOWNLOAD" page. It's a serious bug against security (in the form of user convenience). Looking forward for updates.

~Jake,
Head of Developments
www.ewtnet.us

Hadi Kamell
Hadi Kamell Aug 30 '14
guys, this is a bug and it is in my upgraded site. i think oxwall needs dev team's attention for an emergency update!
ben
ben Sep 6 '14

Quote from drstreet ow thanks god , some one accepted me ! :| 

thank you ben, thank you youzeur , thank you hadi kamel ! 

no need to thank me, you found the bug thanks to you:))
Wilson
Wilson Sep 7 '14

hey Kamell,

just an FYI: Not all of us are having this issue, this is an isolated issue with some not ALL. Ross replied to this post. Those who are having this issue will have to wait for the next core update....could be a few months.

Wilson

Pages: « 1 2 3 »