We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Cron Job?? | Forum

bob daubney
bob daubney Dec 4 '11
I get an email every min or so that says
Could not open input file: /home/lvhosting.net/candlemaking/public_html/ow_cron/run.php
The site works ok I think. how do I fix the above ?
Keelan Leader
Keelan Dec 5 '11
More than likely your cron isn't running, do your users get logged out after 30 mins if they just close their browser without press logout button. If not then your cron isn't running.

Post your cron command here (not the cron file contents) the cron command in your control panel.

Also does your host allow 1 min crons most shared do not.

Is 
/home/lvhosting.net/candlemaking/public_html/ow_cron/run.php the correct path the cron file?
bob daubney
bob daubney Dec 10 '11
My hosting says this:Normally a cron job will clear out unwanted data.

Low volume use - 1 time per month or weekly.

If the website is working correctly, then everything setup right
and the emails is just some sort of autoresponder and not needed.

Let me know if you have any problems, but I do not know
anything about the website.

You will have to goto the help website for details.

Is /home/lvhosting.net/candlemaking/public_html/ow_cron/run.php the correct path the cron file?
I don't know how can I tell if it is the right path?

Michael I.
Michael I. Dec 12 '11
Topic was moved from General Questions.
bob daubney
bob daubney Dec 15 '11
Well I don't think we can get any information on the right cron to run so I am deleting the whole account they will have to get better software
The Forum post is edited by bob daubney Dec 15 '11
Keelan Leader
Keelan Dec 16 '11
Nobody can tell you your correct cron path you should be confident enough with web development to know that your self.

Every host has different paths.
Michael Leader
Michael Dec 23 '11
Sounds like your host is not liking the idea of a cron running frequently on their system.  You will most likely get suspended for using too much resource.   Find a better host that will provide you with your needs.  A dedicated server for large heavy traffic sites is essential!
DavidZenry
DavidZenry Apr 5 '13
I think the Cron job I set up about an hour ago (which worked at first and reset online users) has crashed my entire site, I can't even login to cPanel or FTP/Shell to remove it. 

I am on a shared hosting package / re-seller and suspect the cron job for Oxwall (every minute?!) has used up too much resources. 

I've sent the a support ticket, but I guess they are now going to tell me not to run any more cron jobs. :(

Any ideas?

The Forum post is edited by DavidZenry Apr 5 '13
Michael I.
Michael I. Apr 10 '13
You can set your Cron command to be ran every 5 minutes by replacing the first * with the 5 in your command.
DavidZenry
DavidZenry Apr 13 '13
Great thanks, I might send my host an email to ask what their limit is.

The problem with users staying online can be fixed by emptying the base_user_online table BTW.
MarkieMark67
MarkieMark67 Apr 13 '13
DavidZenry Try to add -q or -dump to your command line. Without this sometimes the CRON doesn't Close in memory, and uses up resources...
DavidZenry
DavidZenry Apr 15 '13
Thanks Mark. Will give it a try. I think that's exactly what happened to me the first time I tried it via cPanel as

<b>curl /*my site/ ow_cron/run.php</b>

At first it worked perfectly (set to 1 min) then brought down my site and gobbled up all the CPU memory. Although my site has 17,000 members so that won't have helped?

Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Apr 21 '13
My site is 3 months new and It is my 1st hosted site, I use Arvixe/Shared, again it's new so I don't really need much more than shared at the moment, my problem happened soon as I updated Oxwall software from 1.5.1 to 1.5.3,,,

Problem-1.) Members aren't being logged out.
Problem-2.) Invite New Emails are not being received.
Problem-3.) Mass Mailing are not being received.

This as follows is my crons command:
/usr/bin/php -q /home/krunch/public_html/ow_cron/run.php

What could be wrong??
MarkieMark67
MarkieMark67 Apr 21 '13
I had kinda the same problem. But what happen to me was my Hosting did some software upgrades, and I had to change my cron command. 

Try

curl http://mysite.com/ow_cron/run.php

The Forum post is edited by MarkieMark67 Apr 21 '13
Michael I.
Michael I. Apr 22 '13
Try running your Cron command via SSH and let us know if you face any errors.
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Apr 22 '13
using this I was alerted at Web-mail as follows:

And no, didn't fix the issue, thanks for trying tho..

Quote from MarkieMark67 I had kinda the same problem. But what happen to me was my Hosting did some software upgrades, and I had to change my cron command. 

Try

curl http://mysite.com/ow_cron/run.php

The Forum post is edited by Kяuncн Apr 22 '13
kevinL
kevinL Apr 22 '13
hello, I had the same problem.  my error:  

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '/' in /home/user/public_html/mydomain.com/ow_cron/run.php on line 30

how to fix it?  thanks.

Michael I.
Michael I. Apr 23 '13
Kaptain, did you try running Cron using SSH? Did you get any errors?

Kevin, it looks like you have modified your ow_cron.php file recently. Try uploading our default file and see if the error remains.

Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Apr 24 '13

Quote from Michael I. Kaptain, did you try running Cron using SSH? Did you get any errors?

Kevin, it looks like you have modified your ow_cron.php file recently. Try uploading our default file and see if the error remains.

Don't know anything about doing this...
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Apr 24 '13
kaptain is on Arvix and his cron is set correctly unless he has changed it since the upgrade. 
Pages: 1 2 3 »