We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

loosing changes on update | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
The Chauffeur
The Chauffeur Nov 20 '14
will I loose all the changes I've made to email templates etc on languages through admin panel if I update to version 1.7.2 from 1.7.1?
Kelvin
Kelvin Nov 20 '14
I think so. All you need to do is to backup your files that you made changes. Then restore it.
The Chauffeur
The Chauffeur Nov 20 '14
I thought they were stored in MySQL?
Kelvin
Kelvin Nov 20 '14
What files you change it ?
The Chauffeur
The Chauffeur Nov 20 '14
just the languages under settings / languages in admin panel
Kelvin
Kelvin Nov 20 '14
oh oh yeah finally I know what you mean. No problem at all !! They won't touch any languages relate files. It is like core language + some other plugin's languages. I did change some default English to [English+Chinese] combined.
The Chauffeur
The Chauffeur Nov 20 '14
That's alright then I've spent ages changing various wordings on languages and layouts
Kelvin
Kelvin Nov 20 '14
yeah it took me a few days to translate all English to Chinese by myself. One by One.
Durlabh Ashok
Durlabh Ashok Nov 20 '14
Chauffeur, But you should backup your site Reguraly.
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Nov 20 '14

Quote from The Chauffeur will I loose all the changes I've made to email templates etc on languages through admin panel if I update to version 1.7.2 from 1.7.1?

No you won't lose changes made to through your site's admin panel when updating.
ross Team
ross Nov 20 '14
Krunch +1
Wilson
Wilson Nov 21 '14
hey Guys
Quote from Kelvin I think so. All you need to do is to backup your files that you made changes. Then restore it.

Regarding “restore” custom modified Oxwall files to NEW versions. I have found that when restoring  custom modified files to NEW updated core version becomes a bad idea. Because when Oxwall dose updates to files them self for let’s say the “Photo” plugin. That NEW file’s coding may have changed due to bugs found in the script file itself…so Oxwall techs have to change the coding some to fix the bugs or just to make things run smother by tweaking the file and optimizing it.

Here’s the problem when “Restoring” your old custom modified Oxwall files to a NEW version, they are not the same file anymore and then you push that old (version) file into a NEW version of the script thinking all is well and for the most part it works ok. But then you get a strange bug that prevents you from running the Oxwall script correctly…WHY? Because the files may have changed and you put an old version file into the NEW version. I would NOT suggest doing that!

What you should do with each file you customized is grab just the customized code and re-install it in the same area you did in the OLD file with the NEW file version. This way if they have changed the code some (which they do), you are not putting an older version file into the NEW version file.

Wilson
Kelvin
Kelvin Nov 21 '14
Maybe I need to make custom modified all over again !!
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Nov 21 '14

Quote from Wilson hey Guys
Quote from Kelvin I think so. All you need to do is to backup your files that you made changes. Then restore it.

Regarding “restore” custom modified Oxwall files to NEW versions. I have found that when restoring  custom modified files to NEW updated core version becomes a bad idea. Because when Oxwall dose updates to files them self for let’s say the “Photo” plugin. That NEW file’s coding may have changed due to bugs found in the script file itself…so Oxwall techs have to change the coding some to fix the bugs or just to make things run smother by tweaking the file and optimizing it.

Here’s the problem when “Restoring” your old custom modified Oxwall files to a NEW version, they are not the same file anymore and then you push that old (version) file into a NEW version of the script thinking all is well and for the most part it works ok. But then you get a strange bug that prevents you from running the Oxwall script correctly…WHY? Because the files may have changed and you put an old version file into the NEW version. I would NOT suggest doing that!

What you should do with each file you customized is grab just the customized code and re-install it in the same area you did in the OLD file with the NEW file version. This way if they have changed the code some (which they do), you are not putting an older version file into the NEW version file.

Wilson

Restore < not the same as >
The Forum post is edited by Kяuncн Nov 21 '14
Wilson
Wilson Nov 22 '14
hey Kяuncн
Quote from The Chauffeur will I loose all the changes I've made to email templates etc on languages through admin panel if I update to version 1.7.2 from 1.7.1?
This was just some positive input from experience...and if you LOOK AT THE FIRST POST IT HAS
"if I update to version 1.7.2 from 1.7.1?"...........! That's NEW versions...but thanks' for the LOUD POST!

Wilson
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Nov 22 '14
Yes, hence the word Update to 1.7.2, not "Restore", your most welcome,,,
No-matter, the answer is No, won't lose changes made to admin Language inputs by updating versions.
ross Team
ross Nov 23 '14
Which is why we do not recommend to do modification in the code itself. we recommend to apply them via the custom made plugins and recommend to do the changes via admin panel. This way, you'll have the option to tweak your plugin to work with the updated version and not to loose your graphics or custom css
The Forum post is edited by ross Nov 24 '14