We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

MySQL Version? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Dominick
Dominick Dec 19 '14
My site is NOT on the latest version. Do you think it could be affecting my performance? It seems the issues I have had may be related to slow database responses. Thoughts?
ross Team
ross Dec 19 '14
Do you have performance issues?

What issues you had?

Dominick
Dominick Dec 20 '14
It seems so. In my control panel, it seems my CPU usage is often high. My host claims it's misreading and/or misleading. However I believe it may be why I have had crashes during plugin updates ( as you know I have posted about it breaking my site during simple plugin updates ). I use HostForWeb and they are excellent in service and support. Last weekend, Aron was updating and testing the beta of his "Pro Shop" and "Cart" and he said my MySQL was not responding. It crashed and I lost a lot of images. I had Back Ups and was able to restore without issue. Attached is a screenshot of what he reported. I was thinking perhaps I should have my hosting company migrate to a server with the latest version of MySQL.

I also wonder if its' the banner ad system I've installed since I started noticing the high CPU usage around the same time. I'm not sure if the the issues are related but, I'm determined to narrow it down. 

When MySQL updated during this past summer, my site stopped functioning, like some others, and my Host migrated quickly to server that had maintained the previous version.

Do you think I should have them migrate me to a server with the latest version of MySQL?

Thoughts?

Attachments:
  attachment_6788_548e9a90e69a9_aaa.jpg (62Kb)
ross Team
ross Dec 22 '14
Dominick mysql server has gone away has nothing to do with the software. 

There can be a lot of reasons why this happens http://www.oxwall.org/forum/section/2/search?&q=mysql%20server%20has%20gone%20away

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#newwindow=1&q=mysql+server+has+gone+away

as to the high CPU, contact your hosting provider and ask for the statistics which part of the software causes that. they should provide you this. 

daisy
daisy Dec 22 '14
I think you can compare the database of the latest version and the old one.
ross Team
ross Dec 22 '14
Daisy, what for?
Dominick
Dominick Jan 13 '15
Ross, the links you provided don't provide a solution. I recently had my host migrate me to a new server with latest version of MySQL. There should be no reason for the MySQL to go away error.

Here is what I got after attempting to update the core theme:

Error details:Type:ExceptionMessage:SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone awayFile:/home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_core/database.phpLine:707Trace:#0 /home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_core/database.php(707): PDOStatement->execute() #1 /home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_core/database.php(305): OW_Database->execute('SELECT * FROM o...', Array) #2 /home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_core/base_dao.php(114): OW_Database->queryForObject('SELECT * FROM o...', 'BOL_Config', Array, 0, Array) #3 /home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/config_dao.php(100): OW_BaseDao->findObjectByExample(Object(OW_Example)) #4 /home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/config_service.php(147): BOL_ConfigDao->findConfig('base', 'dev_mode') #5 /home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_core/config.php(169): BOL_ConfigService->saveConfig('base', 'dev_mode', 0) #6 /home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_core/application.php(558): OW_Config->saveConfig('base', 'dev_mode', 0) #7 /home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_core/application.php(158): OW_Application->devActions() #8 /home/nakedgam/public_html/index.php(51): OW_Application->init() #9 {main}

I have my hosting company looking into it now. I need to get this resolved. I'm about ot be put out of business over this. If I can't get this resolved.

Dominick
Dominick Jan 13 '15
And when I say they don't provide a solution I mean, they only refer to changing MySQL timeout. That doesn't appear to be the issue. I'm not a MySQL expert. 

I'm at my wits end and about to be out out of business over this. i need help! Please contact me

Dominick
Dominick Jan 13 '15
I feel very strongly this is an Oxwall issue. I am moved to new server with a new version of MySQL. I use HostForWeb a company recommended and specializing in hosting Oxwall. This sort of timeout error should NOT be happening. 
Dominick
Dominick Jan 13 '15
I don't even know if there is a where to manually fix this my restoring the theme manually. Is there a way? 
ross Team
ross Jan 14 '15
Dominick, do you have 3rd party plugins? If so, disable all of them and try to update the theme. 
Dominick
Dominick Jan 14 '15
of course I have 3rd party plugins.here's an update. I miss read a value of one of the variables that was outlined in the link that you sent me concerning the MySQL has gone away error. it seems the timeout value is too low. However that value has never changed on my hosting company. And they are unable to change it because it is shared hosting. Be aware I did not disable all my plugins before attempting to update theme but, but I did disable what I thought were the most resource drawing plugins.it doesn't seem to matter how large or small a plugin is, I still get the crash. I was able to repair it myself by manually replacing the theme folder from a backup. My host says they cannot change the variable because it's shared hosting. I am attempting to migrate to another hosting company for a test this morning. Another friend of mine who is an ox world of recommended trying a different company that he uses and that they have some very helpful tech support who are good with oxwall. your suggestion maybe a good idea in the sense that perhaps I should try to disable or third-party plug-ins before attempting to upgrade any plugin, however something still doesn't seem right and while the error does seem to be server side, my hosting company disagrees and there support has been excellent, even going beyond by getting involved with scripting issues. I'm going to try to disable all 3Rd plugins and attempt it again. I'm also going to try this other hosting company. I'm desperate to get to the heart of the issue. if it still crashes and the migration on the test host fails as well, I'd like you to get in and take a look at it. I realize we're on different schedules and I will pass you along my credentials. In the meantime I'm going to try to disable all plugins and take that approach. be aware that if I attempt to even upgrade the smallest plugin. 

Dominick
Dominick Jan 14 '15
even after I attempt to upgrade the smallest plugin, the system crashes. Between testing on another company and trying to disable all plugins before upgrading anything, I should be able to determine if this is scripting issue or a server side issue. be aware that not much has changed on my end that would account for the crashes and nothing has changed with my hosting company.
ross Team
ross Jan 14 '15
Here's the error from our conversation: 

Error details:Type:ExceptionMessage:SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1062 Duplicate entry 'origin' for key 'name'File:/home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_core/database.phpLine:707Trace:#0 /home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_core/database.php(707): PDOStatement->execute() #1 /home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_core/database.php(460): OW_Database->execute('INSERT INTO `ow...', Array) #2 /home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_core/database.php(496): OW_Database->insert('INSERT INTO `ow...', Array) #3 /home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_core/base_dao.php(216): OW_Database->insertObject('ow_base_theme', Object(BOL_Theme)) #4 /home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/theme_service.php(210): OW_BaseDao->save(Object(BOL_Theme)) #5 /home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_system_plugins/admin/controllers/themes.php(81): BOL_ThemeService->updateThemeList() #6 [internal function]: ADMIN_CTRL_Themes->chooseTheme(Array) #7 /home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_core/request_handler.php(263): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #8 /home/nakedgam/public_html/ow_core/application.php(327): OW_RequestHandler->dispatch() #9 /home/nakedgam/public_html/index.php(73): OW_Application->handleRequest() #10 {main}

And as you said you don't have mysql server has gone away when you disable the plugins: 

"I disabled all plugins and updated each one, one at a time, deactivating each one again after updating and it worked. Clearly one or more 3rd party plugins was the cause."

As to the error: 

can you please provide the screenshot of ow_base_theme table via phpmyadmin?

ross Team
ross Feb 2 '16
Do no tduplicated your posts, please http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/44906?page=1#post-173343