We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

login page like facebook | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Development » Themes
M.J
M.J Jan 5 '12
hello everyone

i'm new in oxwall and i'm really in love with that, fantastic :-*

i've a question, hope someone help me

is there any way to set a login/register page in the first page of site which shows to people who are not registered / didnot login?

something like facebook homepage, when u visit at the first time (before login)

thanks in advance :-*
Attachments:
  index.jpg (99.19Kb)
Chidi
Chidi Jan 6 '12
Thats d question i have bin asking people that have implemented it on their site.
The Forum post is edited by Chidi Jan 6 '12
Great_Day
Great_Day Jan 7 '12

Quote from M.J hello everyone

i'm new in oxwall and i'm really in love with that, fantastic :-*

i've a question, hope someone help me

is there any way to set a login/register page in the first page of site which shows to people who are not registered / didnot login?

something like facebook homepage, when u visit at the first time (before login)

thanks in advance :-*
Hi M.J,

Facebook home page is like the join page of your site. (look at yoursite.com/join )
There you will see the sign-up and the login at top. That is something like the Facebook home site. Though it is not the same, your site doesn't have that as its homepage, like you said that already. 

You can set it to your homepage very easily. There are two options what you can do:
1. (the easiest) Just drag the "Join" page (under admin control -> Pages & Menus) to the first. 
If you want only the first one than set all the other pages to "only visible for logged in users". (everything except join should be green, join should be red <- in admin under Pages & Menus)
2. Change the php code. I don't have any php knowlegde, so I can't help you with this, sorry. 

To finish it up, you will need to theme. But how far you want to go and what you want to do, is up to you!

Great_Day
M.J
M.J Jan 8 '12

Quote from Great Day
Hi M.J,

Facebook home page is like the join page of your site. (look at yoursite.com/join )
There you will see the sign-up and the login at top. That is something like the Facebook home site. Though it is not the same, your site doesn't have that as its homepage, like you said that already. 

You can set it to your homepage very easily. There are two options what you can do:
1. (the easiest) Just drag the "Join" page (under admin control -> Pages & Menus) to the first. 
If you want only the first one than set all the other pages to "only visible for logged in users". (everything except join should be green, join should be red <- in admin under Pages & Menus)
2. Change the php code. I don't have any php knowlegde, so I can't help you with this, sorry. 

To finish it up, you will need to theme. But how far you want to go and what you want to do, is up to you!

Great_Day

That was so cool dude, thanks alot~~~
now, the next step is making the page more similar to the facebook
it was a great help, i loved it
hope the final page be the must similar to what i'm thinking about
i'll do my best
thanks Great_Day :-*
Great_Day
Great_Day Jan 8 '12
Next step you should change the files in /ow_themes/graphite/ 
Just move the "register field" to the right and add an image in the left, change some colours in the css and you are close to final. Let me know if you need further help.
jeo
jeo Jan 8 '12
@Great_Day

Can you please put all this in basic steps for me to follow? i would love to edit the join page like facebook! thanks
Great_Day
Great_Day Jan 9 '12
Okay, I will do that. But please don't expect that I will totally guide you thrue the stuff. Becuase than I could have also made a theme from it and upload it here. I will give you the basic instruction of how to do what. You will have to find out yourself a lot, I will only help you in the beginning. (If I would help you thrue the whole thing, than I would be 10 pages further... ;-) ) 

Nevertheless you are always free to ask. This post will be followed soon with an short tutorial.
Great_Day
Great_Day Jan 9 '12
You will need to change almost everything to make it similar to Facebook. Note that what I am going to explain to you now, may need some of your own basic CSS knowlegde. 
Before you start, you should make a backup of the original theme!!

We will mostly need the base.css file to change things like background, header, fonts etc. This is pretty easy. I have a quick trick too see which thing you need to edit to get the effect. Look at the next picture. 
http://www.mijnbestand.nl/Bestand-YTAP4UIPBYB4&download=WBYF7ISPKS74

You will first have to go to your site. Than do right-mouse-click on the thing you want to change. Click on "element inspecting" (in chrome, don't know if this works in any other browser!). Now you will mostlikely see the image of the screenshot that I have made. When you go with your mouse over the lines in the earea with the bleu arrow, you will see some things in your site will light up.
I have taken the Header as an example. When you are on the link: "<div class="ow_header">" the header will light up. Click on that. On the right hand there you can see the CSS file. (base.css for now). The yellow arrow says on which line and which css file are the preferonce of the header. (you can check that by yourself, by going to the theme.).

Now try to untick some of the boxes who are marked with the red arrow. Look at what happens!
You are now disabling / temporarily deleting the lines. When you untick "background image" you will see that the header is turned to white. What is happenning is, that the background image is deleted and the background color is set enable.

If you change the color of the background color (you need to do this manual by using notepad++ and opening the base.css, in your theme folder) to the same blue as the facebook has, than we have finished that one (these are hex codes, search for them on google). (don't forget to delete the line of the backgroundimage! otherwise it won't have any effect!! 

You can play a lot with this trick!

You can do this too for the register "table". Just right-click on the table and redo the steps I told you. 
Note: you will have to add some lines, without any CSS knowledge this could be very hard. The trick I told you is not the best, but is the easiest way of creating a theme. 
You will have to something like "align=right;" or "position_fixed=right". But sometimes this won't work, becuase they could have been edited in the PHP file. I haven't looked for that now.

Last but not least, there is the Graphics folder in your theme. Check that out. For changing some the graphics you can easily create a new icon / image and replace it with the original one (make sure that it has the same name, extension and size!) That will always work.  

Last note: It really doesn't matter in how much you will "copy" the style of Facebook. Take that from me. You won't get as much users as Facebook gets, if you only change the style. You will need to have something special that others don't have, and what makes people to visit your site, to get it popular!
That only applies to you, if you want it to be popular, ofcourse. 

I wish you all the best with the theming! If you have any more questions than please let me know!

Great_Day
The Forum post is edited by Great_Day Jan 9 '12
jeo
jeo Jan 9 '12
thanks mate but i know that my site will nver be as good but all i just want is a image on the sign up forum so its based out like facebook join page? can you just point me in how to just add a image and move the sign up forum to the rite? thanks for your help :)
Great_Day
Great_Day Jan 9 '12
I can do three things: 
1. Create a short guide on how you should do it. (will take 2 days)
2. Create a package which you only have to apply.(simple version, it will look like it, but not 100% the same. (will take two days)
3. Create a whole theme, which will look ~exact the same as Facebook.  (will take about two weeks)

Let me know what you want. 
jeo
jeo Jan 9 '12
have a look wat i mean, iv atached an image showing a image then the sign up forum thats all i need dun
samuel jackson
samuel jackson Jan 10 '12
Hi i have add a joinpage in Oxwall store:

joinpage1

joinpage
jeo
jeo Jan 10 '12
@samuel iv pm you check your inbox!
Great_Day
Great_Day Jan 10 '12
I can still make if for you if you want. I will have it than tomorrow. Would you like to have the rest of the site the same style?

@samuel jackson; just out of curiousity.. Did you make the theme with the help of the tutorial, I posted above? Becuase there are a lot of things the same... :-)
dhruv
dhruv Jan 11 '12

Quote from Great_Day I can still make if for you if you want. I will have it than tomorrow. Would you like to have the rest of the site the same style?

@samuel jackson; just out of curiousity.. Did you make the theme with the help of the tutorial, I posted above? Becuase there are a lot of things the same... :-)

rest of site is very good,
if you have it or can do it, pls post here , i also want it.
thanks.
samuel jackson
samuel jackson Jan 11 '12
@ Great_Day

Quote from Great_Day @samuel jackson; just out of curiousity.. Did you make the theme with the help of the tutorial, I posted above? Becuase there are a lot of things the same... :-)

No, idon't see your tutorial, this is a selfmade template.

Michael I.
Michael I. Jan 12 '12
Topic was moved from General Questions.
Great_Day
Great_Day Jan 12 '12
Quote from dhruv
Quote from Great_Day I can still make if for you if you want. I will have it than tomorrow. Would you like to have the rest of the site the same style?

rest of site is very good,
if you have it or can do it, pls post here , i also want it.
thanks.

Ofcourse, I will make it as soon as I have time...
Great_Day
Great_Day Jan 27 '12
hey guys,

Nope, I didn't  forget you. I
 just was very bussy. 

I have made an Alpha Facebook theme. It is far from done!! But it is a start. 
What I have done:
- changed style of font logo and tagline.
- changed colours
- Some this and that's

Please say to me what you want and what you don't want. I will update it frequently. Once it is good, I will upload it to the theme/plugin section.
Attachments:
  Facebook.zip (200.09Kb)
shahid zafar
shahid zafar Feb 22 '12
Quote from Great_Day hey guys,

Nope, I didn't  forget you. I
 just was very bussy. 

I have made an Alpha Facebook theme. It is far from done!! But it is a start. 
What I have done:
- changed style of font logo and tagline.
- changed colours
- Some this and that's

Please say to me what you want and what you don't want. I will update it frequently. Once it is good, I will upload it to the theme/plugin section.
Hi Great_Day,

You really made my day a great-day with your theme. I was looking for something same. Thank you for all your effort.

Pages: 1 2 »