We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

All avatars and pictures in the same directory?? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Marisa
Marisa Feb 14 '15
noticed that all avatars are stored in the same directory, same for pictures. Probably it's okay if a site has 1000 members. But what if it has 10,000 members? 50,000? 100,000? and all pictures in the same directory? Is it a good idea? I've read somewhere that it's bad for security when there are too many files in the same directory. Not too mention it will be hard to delete such a huge directory, even from shell.

Not sure what to do about this problem, but it WILL become a problem for the growing sites.

Wilson
Wilson Feb 14 '15
hey Marisa,

Yes this is true...and it has been discussed about here and someone did have a good idea about how to fix it but it has bugs in it and is not the best fix. I and others have been waiting for some kind of solution but nothing yet.

Here's the link to that discussion http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/12269 but you will see that it has issues.

Wilson
The Forum post is edited by Wilson Feb 14 '15
Marisa
Marisa Feb 14 '15
yeah, looks like it has bugs and not really a solution for an existing big site. I wished there was at least no duplicates in avatars folder, what's the point of having small avatar and big avatar there? If you want it smaller, just display it smaller in browser, like on main page, in Users section.

I guess we have to wait for some solution, as we really need it.

Wilson
Wilson Feb 14 '15
Well we could get to together with a developer and pay them to make a fix? You see my post was over a year ago and still no fix....may not be on there right now fix list!

let me know?

Wilson

ps...I just sent a PM to Shawn M about maybe paying him for a true fix...maybe PM him too?
Marisa
Marisa Feb 15 '15
I am more than willing to pay if somebody can reprogram this, because I feel it will bring me problems in the long run.
Marisa
Marisa Feb 15 '15
and btw, making each user to have their own directory is also not a solution. What if there are 10,000 users with pics, there will be 10,000 directories? No good. The directories should go either in alphabetical order by usernames, or by month and year.