We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

join proces | Forum

Jordi
Jordi Apr 20 '15
Hi, 

i have a question about the join proces. I want to makt the process shorter. I want the new member to fill only the basic question and the avatar en the rest when the new member signs in for the first time. How to archive this?

thansk 

dave Leader
dave Apr 21 '15
About the closest you might get is to make what you want not required and then have them fill it in if they want to.  There is no way that i know of to make it only required after login.  It would take a plugin or special coding. 
Jordi
Jordi Apr 21 '15
ok thanks. I hope someone is gonna make somethin like this ;-)
dave Leader
dave Apr 21 '15
YW :),  Honestly i would not hold my breath, noone will do it if only one person is asking for it.  I dont remember ever seeing a request like this so i would think the chances are very slim.
Jordi
Jordi Apr 22 '15
hmmmmm..... would speed up a join process very good so people dont leave the join form because its to long...

so lets hope haha

The Forum post is edited by Jordi Apr 22 '15
dave Leader
dave Apr 22 '15
would it work for you to have it separated into two pages, so the first page has only a couple of items and then they finish on the second page, is that helpful at all.  you can do that now.
Taissa Team
Taissa Apr 22 '15
Jordi, our software let you to create profile questions via Admin area>Users> Profile questions> Properties tab. So you can create for example required profile question and hide it for join page but show for edit profile questions. But in this case when users will log-in the second time they will need  go through the complete profile process and fill in all required fields.

If I understand you correctly you would like to show at the Join page just few profile questions and call the complete profile process only in case when users go to the Edit my profile page. And they should not have possibility to leave this page without finishing the process. If so, then presently this is considered as a custom code modification because there is no such kind of default functionality.
First of all I could propose you to deactivate the method which calls the complete profile process. In this way the remaining required fields will be filled when users will go to the Edit profile questions, change something there and click Save button. The form will  not be saved until all required fields are filled.
So you may go to the /ow_system_plugins/base/classes/event_handler.php file and comment the all conditions which contain the "base.complete_profile..."

But if you want users to go through the complete profile process at the very moment when they open the Edit profile questions page, this will be more complicated custom code modifications. I may suggest you to explore how the "complete profile" works and apply this method to the Edit profile questions page.
Here you also can find the complete_profile controller: /ow_system_plugins/base/controllers/complete_profile.php .
Jordi
Jordi Apr 22 '15
Taissa thanks for your answer.

I want a new member just to fill the basic questions like email etc. When he complets his basic form en went thru the email verivication and logins to the site then i want them to complete al other questions as a requierd step before they can do something on the website.

thanks

Taissa Team
Taissa Apr 22 '15
Jordi, you can easily do it by using Profile questions settings. Go to the Admin Area> Users> Profile questions> Properties tab. Here you can manage users' profile questions and assign separate list of profile questions for different pages.
There are five columns:
Required - check this check box to make the field mandatory.
On sign up - question should be on the registration page.
On profile edit - question should be available for user to edit.
On profile view - question should be shown on profile view page. Complete profile information will still be visible to profile owners, site administrator and moderators with admin rights.
On search- question should be used for User Search.

Note: Some actions can not be applied to system fields like username or password

See more information about profile questions here: https://docs.oxwall.org/user-manual:users:profile-questions .
dave Leader
dave Apr 22 '15
whooo hoooo Taissa nice job +1  i love learning about oxwall :)
Jordi
Jordi Apr 27 '15
Taissa,

this doenst work for 100%

i tried it and when you have the minimal questions on the join page and when your join process is finished you dont directly the required questions after login.

thanks

Taissa Team
Taissa Apr 28 '15
Jordi, sorry for misleading and confusing you. Turned out I gave you not full information. The complete profile process will appear for registered users if the site admin adds new profile questions to the join form. In this case already registered users will need to complete info before they can do anything on the site.
So if you need to run the complete profile questions process after any second login, you will need to make custom code modification by using the files I've mentioned above.
Ebenezer Obasi
Ebenezer Obasi Aug 29 '16
Does anyone still need this?
Jordi
Jordi Aug 29 '16
yes would be great ;-)
Ebenezer Obasi
Ebenezer Obasi Aug 30 '16
I found a workaround for this. Might introduce it as a plugin soon.
Anitaku
Anitaku Aug 31 '16

Quote from Ebenezer Obasi I found a workaround for this. Might introduce it as a plugin soon.
very interested in this :)
Ebenezer Obasi
Ebenezer Obasi Aug 31 '16
Ok. Is it okay with you guys if users are redirected to the profile edit page if the required questions are not filled?
Jordi
Jordi Sep 3 '16
yes i think so
Ebenezer Obasi
Ebenezer Obasi Sep 3 '16
Ok. I will publish a plugin latest on Monday.
Tecca
Tecca Sep 4 '16
The closer we can get to the current login page below, without core edits, the better. This is how I believe join forms should be — short and painless. Attention span is fairly low online, so the shorter the process, the bigger chance you have of conversion. They can always fill out their profile once you nab their registration anyway. From there, you have an extra person on your email list instead of someone bouncing away from the join form because it's too long.

https://www.beardprofile.com/join

Would be great to see a plugin that adds convenience functionality like this.
Pages: 1 2 »