We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

[SOLVED] Update Terms of Use on Signup. | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Ryan
Ryan May 3 '15

I've tried searching for this and found out how to update the Terms of Service for the Mobile part of my site, but how do you update the terms of service for the sign up page in you have it enabled?  When you click on the link you get the page not found 404 page thing.  Where do I go to edit:

http://www.mysite.com/terms-of-use

Thank  you for your help!

The Forum post is edited by Oxwall Software May 12 '15
Attachments:
  Pic.png (16Kb)
  Pic2.png (11Kb)
dave Leader
dave May 3 '15
Hi Ryan go to admin -> pages and  you will see the button for terms-of-use  then hold your mouse on the corner of the button and click edit.  Put your terms of use in the page content area. 

Hope that helps.   And sorry Ryan for late reply, just so you know the team does not work on weekends, we volunteers and others are always here to help though.  

Ryan
Ryan May 5 '15

I do not see a content area.  I think I may have deleted the original terms-of-use.  Duh, I know.  How do I edit the sign up page to send people to my Terms of Use that I created?

dave Leader
dave May 5 '15
how did you create it?
tammy harris
tammy harris May 5 '15
on mine the terms on desktop link works fine 
but on mobile sign up takes me to page say only available in desktop mode thing 

so to fix it i think il have make a terms page in mobile the edit the link to point to that 
Ryan
Ryan May 6 '15

@Dave:

I go to Admin>>Manage Pages

I then click on "Add Item."

I got it to work once, but only when I click to make it accessible to Guests and Registered Members.  That worked... but the problem there was that it didn't retain formatting for the HTML.  The <h1> worked but it strips out things like <p> and <ol> and <ul>.  I need the formatting to stay put.  So, what I did was to create a Terms of Service in an HTML document and uploaded it to the root of my server.  I encountered another problem there because it doesn't seem to direct to the correct URL.  It goes to (I can't remember exactly) http://www.mysite.com/user/http://www.mysite.com/somethingorother...

So, and because it doesn't retain the formatting correctly, I am trying to do it as an external link.  Which is not really an "external" link since the URL I am typing in is directing to my site...  http://www.mysite.com/legal/terms.html.  It doesn't open up the html document I created but rather, it gives me the 404 page: Sorry, this document doesn't exist. I first tried it in the root of my server and then again in the "legal" folder.  I even tried to CHMod the folder and html docs to 755 and 777 but that doesn't work.  Could this have anything to do with .htaccess settings?

I'm stuck.  Do you know what I am doing wrong?

@Tammy:

Thank you Tammy, I will look into that as a possible alternative...

The Forum post is edited by Ryan May 6 '15
tammy harris
tammy harris May 6 '15
in htaccess at the top of the RewriteCond list put

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/name of folder or file/
Ryan
Ryan May 7 '15

@Tammy

That killed my site.  Returned a 500 internal server error.

JoshWho
JoshWho May 7 '15
just use the html formatting u created in your separate terms file and put it in the terms box for oxwall.
Taissa Team
Taissa May 8 '15
Ryan, you don't need to create a separate custom page just for saving formatting.  Go to the Admin Area>Pages&Menus section. Click "Add item" button and create a local page named "Terms of Service". Then paste your HTML code to the "Page content" section and add css code for saving formatting.
For example for <ol> tag you will need to paste <style>ol {  list-style-type: decimal;  padding-left: 20px;  list-style-position: outside; } </style> code into the "Page meta tags" section.

The Forum post is edited by Taissa May 8 '15
Ryan
Ryan May 8 '15

@Taissa

That would probably be the best way... Unfortunately I am really not a coding kind of guy and I really don't want to mess with the CSS.  Is there a way to upload an html file to my server and link to it and why can't I?

tammy harris
tammy harris May 9 '15
add a folder say "terms" to root directory and put your html file in it 

in htaccess at the top of the RewriteCond list put

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/terms/

then link to it ie   yoursite.com/terms/the name tour html file

Ryan
Ryan May 9 '15

@Tammy

Yes!  That worked!  Thank You!

Now, getting back to my original question:

How do I point the link to the Terms of Use that is on my join page to my terms.html page in a new window?

tammy harris
tammy harris May 9 '15
in ow_systemplugins/base/views/controlers/join.html line 98 to 114

i dont know what or how you will do it 

looks like you have find the php fpr it i dont know 
maybe tessa can help with this 

you can try put your hreff _blank   in 
{text key="base+questions_section_terms_of_use_label
Ryan
Ryan May 10 '15
K Thanks...  I'll wait for her reply...
Taissa Team
Taissa May 11 '15
Ryan, we don't allow stylizing of unordered lists, because we use them within the themes ( ex menu items). If restriction is removed then all places within your theme where <ul> <li><ol> are used will show in form of a list ( with bullets, circles and etc. next to each item). That is why I've advised you to add CSS code to save formatting.
If you want to use your own html file for displaying the Terms of Use page, you will need to create new menu button and remove the old one.  And add to "external URL" filed for the new button your Terms of Use link. Then you will need to correct the language key value. Go to the Admin Area> Settings> Languages and find the key value "I agree with <a target='blank' href='{$site_url}terms-of-use' >terms of use</a>" >terms of use</a>" (this language key {text key='base+questions_question_user_terms_of_use_label'}). Replace the href='{$site_url}terms-of-use' by href="your link".

Ryan
Ryan May 11 '15

That's cool... I understand...  I like the way it is.  I just wanted to know what file to update to point them in the right direction so they can agree to my terms on signup and I was having trouble understanding.  Now that I got the .htacces updated so people can actually go to my site all I need is to update the language file as you suggested.

... now if I can just find the language file... :)

Ryan
Ryan May 11 '15

WOOHOO!!!  I found it!  Everything is now PERFECT!!!

I love you guys!  You're my bestest friends in da whooole wiiide wooorld!!!

MUAH!!!