We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Suggestion - Dark | Forum

ross Team
ross Jun 4 '15
I will be glad to hear you out
matt
matt Jun 11 '15
Hi Ross,

Great theme! Thanks.

Is it possible to make the header image responsive (scale to screen size)

Thanks!
ross Team
ross Jun 11 '15
Yes, of course that's possible. 
matt
matt Jun 11 '15
Great, Will you implement it for this theme?
ross Team
ross Jun 11 '15
According to the idea, the default design does not have header image on mobile and tablets(portrait view). The mobile should be as simple as possible, you don't want to clutter it up with the elements which do not convey any informational meaning. 

However I can provide you with the styles which you can use on the obtained theme to make header image visible both on mobile and tablets (portrait view). 

matt
matt Jun 11 '15
Hmmm, Ok, your logic makes sense. Let me play with it some more, and get back to you, if I need the styles.

Thanks
ross Team
ross Jun 11 '15
Sure, take your time. 
matt
matt Jun 14 '15
Hi,

I have another question :)

We use a search plugin, and it doesn't seem to work responsively. I asked the developer here... (and they provide the answer, that the theme needs to do this)

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/36998

Is their a way of making the search box plugin responsive on this theme?

Thanks!
ross Team
ross Jun 14 '15
As this is paid 3rd party plugin I don't have the opportunity to test it. So I can't tell you whether this is possible. As far as I know it is placed in the console. Which is why, in mobile version,  there will be no space to place the whole search textarea there. As the icons take almost whole console area. 
The Forum post is edited by ross Jun 14 '15
matt
matt Jun 14 '15
Sure, I understand.

Can you suggest a strategy for solving this problem? As we move towards responsive themes. like the brilliant Dublin Dark - essential 3rd party plugins like site search, prove 'must haves' for any decent oxwall site.

Might theme developers, plugin devs, and oxwall team work together to create some policy and coding standardization? So that we can get essential features like 'site search' working well with modern responsive web use.

The Forum post is edited by matt Jun 14 '15
ross Team
ross Jun 14 '15
Matt, I believe coding standartization won't resolve the matter of 3rd party plugins compliance with 3rd party themes, as the developers must be free to implement their ideas whatever they want and they are, but on the default themes as they do the testing on the default themes, because they don't have access to 3rd party themes. 

In this case the developers of 3rd party themes should implement some workaround for 3rd party plugins. 

Like in your case- search plugin. In my head, it can be done as a javascript popup, which appears after you click some icon in the console where you can see the text area of the search, otherwise the text area won't fit in the console due to other console items. This will require some additional work to do and it won't be done for free of course, as this is individual request

matt
matt Jun 14 '15
Thanks for your reply. I think sound advice all round. Thanks, I genuinely appreciate your thoughts and input.

Personally, my approach would be to simply switch the search off, when responding to mobile devices/smaller screens (this wouldnt have to be plugin specific) just switching anything off, that is not the core oxwall console items). If we simply have a (main) menu item, for site search, the user can select the search screen, if they wish. I see no need to clutter the console, for smaller screens.

The Forum post is edited by matt Jun 14 '15
ross Team
ross Jun 14 '15
If you want a menu item, this can be done only within the plugin code. 

To not show search on mobile - this can be done within a theme in the media queries for max-width of 480px

matt
matt Jun 14 '15
Sure, I can handle the plugin menu item.

I will take a look at the media queries. I have not looked at much theme code (and have little experience)

I will probably need to ask further questions.

If I cannot achieve the result, and If you wish to charge me for the theme adaption, please pm me with a quote. But I would prefer something so simple to get included in the theme.
ross Team
ross Jun 14 '15
I think there's no need to charge anything as you just dont want to display the search on mobile. THis can be done very quickly, I'll just need access to your website. 
matt
matt Jun 14 '15
Ah okay. Thanks, I appreciate it, very much. I will send details through tomorrow via PM, when the server admin has fixed a few things on his side.

ross Team
ross Jun 14 '15
Yes, sure, don't forget to remember me why you're sending the details. Also I would be very grateful if you leave you review (of course if it is positive) regarding the theme you obtained, when you have time. 
matt
matt Jun 14 '15
Sure thing. Will do. I am very happy with the theme so far. It really take the site to the next level of UX, look and feel. I will say so, in a review.
matt
matt Jun 17 '15
Hi Ross,

My test users and I noted that we don't see a seperator line between forum posts. This seems to make it not as readable as we might like. The posts seem to flow into each other. Would it be possible to add something to the design, that helps differentiate the forum posts from one another?

I note that the first post of a thread, has a lighter color, but replies don't. I wonder if alternating the box color, down the thread might be an option?

The Forum post is edited by matt Jun 17 '15
ross Team
ross Jun 17 '15
Alternating is not possible as all replies has one class

to make replies area to be of the same background color and add separator line

add these styles to base.css file

after line 6573, right before /*media queries*/

.ow_forum_topic_posts .ow_ipc {  background-color: #152737;  padding: 5px;}

.ow_forum_topic_posts .ow_ipc_info {  border-bottom: 1px solid; }

enable dev mode, refresh, disable dev mode

Pages: 1 2 »
This topic is sticky