We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

To 99% of the theme developers... | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Development » Themes
Tom
Tom Jul 17 '15
I got kinda a bone to pick with the most of you. Why is it most of the themes are so damn... fugly? Don't take this as a personal attack, it's not meant to be, but really... If it's not the icons that are an eyesore, it's the fonts used or the colors,.. it's the combinations used. Hell, I am colorblind and I know most of these colors do not go well with another.

This is the biggest loosing part of Oxwall at this moment. People who use this software are not coders, most have no problem paying for themes, but paying for 1 off things is realistically not going to happen.

So here is my advice to you theme makers. Actually read your comments and stop posting fake reviews about how good your themes are. They suck, if they didn't you'd have people in the hundreds using this software and your themes.

If you want help specifically why they are so horrible, I'll be more then happy to point some of the issues out with them. 

The Forum post is edited by Tom Jul 17 '15
Tom
Tom Jul 19 '15
Tell you what, if someone can post me a tut video on how to make your own themes, I am fairly certain i can muddle through them and make some nice ones for people. You show me how to make them and I'll help you all out.
Tom
Tom Jul 21 '15
Yes, but wouldn't it make much more sense to make a really good theme and let people then change that, instead of vomiting up some random kaleidoscope color combination with text that makes my eyes bleed?

Your average person who want to make a site look good, doesn't know how to code CSS and let be honest,.. are not going to pay for a theme, and then pay more for it to look right. So just make them right the first time... like is it really this hard? Hell I'll do it and take everyone's money! LOL.
Terry Ash
Terry Ash Aug 15 '15

If people are interested in learning to code, the following information will assist them: 

Javacodegeeks.com and webcodegeeks.com have free instructions on CSS & other programming languages as well as server guide books. 

In addition, there are free platforms/websites that you can learn how to code for free in their live test environments. 

Blessings, Terry

Sean
Sean Sep 2 '15
Theres a few decent themes out there, but I have to agree. A lot of the themes and a few of the plugins don't have the best front-end work I've seen. I'm working on making my own theme right now and will gladly put it up on the oxwall store for a decent price. Probably around the $10-$15 range.

I'm not the best front-end developer in the world but I simply can't force myself to release half-assed products so hopefully things will turn out pretty well.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth Sep 9 '15
I completely agree, Tom. I've been using ThemeForest for themes for my non-Oxwall sites and this is just so painful to try to recode a theme to try to make it look decent. Some of the popular ones on here are beyond hideous. If someone doesn't get what I'm saying, go to ThemeForest.net and browse their bestsellers.

I keep staring at the theme I'm using (which is the cleanest of the bunch IMO) and trying to figure out how to redesign it so I don't cringe every time I go to my site.

Currently, I'm trying to change the fonts and see if that helps. I've made some really good-looking sites in WordPress, but Oxwall could benefit from some sleek and modern designs. I happily pay $55 at TF for a good responsive design, but the designers put a lot of work into them. If you're buying a theme here, either be really good at recoding CSS or not be particular. I've learned how to be in the first group and it's taken a long time.
Tom
Tom Sep 16 '15
Yea, it's gotten to the point, I have actually begun looking at alternative CMS's for my site. It would be a huge PITA to move everything, but I'm still trying to give this system the benefit of the doubt as it's still kinda new. I wish they would have 1 or 2 people that could make really good themes you can just buy once, get updates and be done with it.
Tom
Tom Sep 19 '15
New default theme is not bad,.. I am editing some of it but 90% good!

BUT! Stop with the damn hearts for the likes!

Tom
Tom Sep 20 '15
Yea, their is a huge difference between changing something to suit your needs, then changing something about a theme because it's ugly.
Tom
Tom Sep 21 '15
The new default theme is actually not that bad. It's simple, but it's a good ground work for a normal site instead of the punky brewster mish mash. 
The Forum post is edited by Tom Sep 21 '15
Tom
Tom Sep 22 '15
My next gripe is about people expecting you to make a "log in" profile to view the demo sites.. I mean really? Are you really going to be an ass like that? I haven't and will not purchase any site that requires you to do this as it's one of the most annoying obstacles when looking into purchasing a theme. Yea, like I am going to sit there and make accounts for 20 different theme makers,.. stop that! It's beyond stupid. If I like the theme and buy it, the store lists who the designer was by default, so quit wasting everyone's time with this nonsense!
Tom
Tom Sep 26 '15

Quote from Layth Hi i am improving simplicity theme (i am not changing layouts )

take a look here http://oxwalltest.cutearabs.com/

When i finish it i will put it in market (i think it is good theme for users that don't know html and css)

It is first theme for me ever

All your doing is copying someone else work and editing the CSS and suggesting that it's your own. 1) Don't do that, that's stealing.. Do you live in China? 2) This is a classic example of misuse of color. Facebook, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Apple, name any large company that hires the best of the best employee's for design.. Do you think anyone of these company's would use this color palette? Here is a tool that will help you.. Adobe Kuler. Also, ColorZilla for chrome will help you analyze websites and the art of color combo's used. For this particular site, I would at a minimum make the text in the headers of each box white. The entire site doing simply that would make it more eye appealing, but personally, I wouldn't use these colors. Also,.. the original developers decided to use these fugly hearts,.. do the world a favor,.. if your going to copy someone's work, take out the worst part of it. Your average person isn't going to want to build a site with hearts on it. 
Tom
Tom Sep 26 '15
Layth, if you want to add garbage to the landfill go right ahead and ignore my advice. As per what other people are doing.. They can use common sense and read the advice I gave you and adapt. The point to this is, if people continue to produce garbage themes this CMS will never reach it's full potential. You can put a 911 engine in a VW beetle, but the resale value will be of the beetle not as a Porsche, and the engine swap will never increase the value because it's simply a one off head ache someone else will have to figure out if it ever needs to be tuned. 
Tom
Tom Sep 26 '15
Plugins have nothing to do with your poor color selection, and if a plugin doesn't work most of the time the plugin developers can fix the issue. I've only had one major problem with one developer and I was refunded my money. Don't worry about what other people are doing, fix your own themes first!
The Forum post is edited by Tom Sep 26 '15
Tom
Tom Sep 26 '15
Go away,.. your ruining this thread.
The Forum post is edited by Tom Sep 26 '15
Carlos Pires Corrente

Quote from Tom I got kinda a bone to pick with the most of you. Why is it most of the themes are so damn... fugly? Don't take this as a personal attack, it's not meant to be, but really... If it's not the icons that are an eyesore, it's the fonts used or the colors,.. it's the combinations used. Hell, I am colorblind and I know most of these colors do not go well with another.

This is the biggest loosing part of Oxwall at this moment. People who use this software are not coders, most have no problem paying for themes, but paying for 1 off things is realistically not going to happen.

So here is my advice to you theme makers. Actually read your comments and stop posting fake reviews about how good your themes are. They suck, if they didn't you'd have people in the hundreds using this software and your themes.

If you want help specifically why they are so horrible, I'll be more then happy to point some of the issues out with them. 

Most part of the themes are all the same, the only thing that changes are the colors,... basically...

Scam Detector
Scam Detector Apr 4 '17
I like wrike theme