We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Tiny Chat Permissions | Forum

John
John Aug 11 '10
I havent found a way to allow visitors to go into the chat room without signing in. Is there a way to let visitors to the site go into the chat room without registering?
Emil Team
Emil Aug 11 '10
With this TinyChat plugin - no.
John
John Aug 11 '10
This is so weird.

I installed a site this morning. I just now went back to it and have discovered a couple odd things.

First, there is someone in chat who is not registered as a member. In fact, I am the only member.

Second, when I try to use Moderator Controls, it tells me that I am not a moderator. When I check the User Roles, it shows me as Admin with all privileges.

Any ideas on these two things?
John
John Aug 11 '10
Here is an update....

Another person pooped into chat and they were not a registered user. I asked them what site they went to to get into chat (my chat). They gave me the url of the site they are on. I went to it and signed up. It is a wackwall/tiny chat site. I also check to see where it is hosted and it is not hosted and it is not hosted on the same ip.

Anyway, when I signed up on that site and went into chat, I was then in their chat and my chat with different names lol. I used both of my cams at the same time. Hilarious.

Any idea how these two sites are crossing?
John
John Aug 11 '10
I posted these problems 8-9 hours ago. I find it hard to believe that no went to work at Oxwall today. I still await answers.

Quote from John

Here is an update....

Another person pooped into chat and they were not a registered user. I asked them what site they went to to get into chat (my chat). They gave me the url of the site they are on. I went to it and signed up. It is a wackwall/tiny chat site. I also check to see where it is hosted and it is not hosted and it is not hosted on the same ip.

Anyway, when I signed up on that site and went into chat, I was then in their chat and my chat with different names lol. I used both of my cams at the same time. Hilarious.

Any idea how these two sites are crossing?

Den Team
Den Aug 12 '10
Hello
Would you provide me with your domain and domain, which you was provided by person from tiny chat?
Michael Leader
Michael Aug 12 '10
I have noticed identical symptoms.
I was able to work out how it was happening.
In wackwall i have a site and have what seems a secure (ish) chat session.
http://www.shuttertime.wackwall.com
There was a post in the wackwall forums about being able to moderate the tinychat externally. Which it seems can be done.
Part of the method for moderating the chat was to check your chatroom name.
To do this you goto the chat page in your site and read the page source. A bit down that you see the name. Mine was "shuttertime"
Now I am hosting my own site using wackwall I noticed people in the chat room minutes after I installed the site. I checked page source for the room name and it was "www".
No I believe what is happening (but not sure) is that in WACKWALL the tinychat is looking at your URL www.shuttertime.wackwall.com, seeing shuttertime as like a subdomain and using that as the chatroom name. Because my site is now www.shuttertime.co.uk, it is dropping the shuttertime and maybe thinking the www is the subdomain thus setting the roomname to "www".

The reason I say this is I chatted with one of the people, they pointed me to their site which was www.edwardandbellafanclub.com but it, I think was hosted on wackwall. So It seems if you install oxwall on your own site or you use your own URL for wackwall, tinychat room names get a little mixed up.

I did try to have a look at the code but not knowing where the roomname is set it is difficult to be sure what is happening.

@ John, bear in mind, tinychat is a 3rd party plugin. Also I do think users CAN join your chatroom (when fixed) externally through www.tinychat.com/yourroomname but not from the chat on your site.

You could find another chat program and create a page for that and disable tinychat. I am going to try phpfreechat and see if that works. OK I lose video and broadcast which blows a little bit. Yeah I would prefer to see the tinychat api working with a few more options securing it to the site.

I posted a similar issue a wee while back.
http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/19
Due to it being 3rd party, I am not expecting swift responses...
Den Team
Den Aug 12 '10
Thank you for your great assistance MichaelK.
You are right, all sites with custom domains on wackwall/xitti and on standalone oxwall has common room. We will include this tinychat bugfix in Beta3 soon and specially for tinychat plugin in our store. So you will be able to update this plugin from your admin panel.
John
John Aug 12 '10
It would be extremely nice to allow users to come into chat without logging in or signing up. How come it is possible on TinyChat itself but not in the TinyChat plugin?

It seems that chat would get used more if people did not have to go through the signup process.
Michael Leader
Michael Aug 12 '10
the tinychat plugin code takes your username and automatically changes your nick. Accessing via a guest access the plugin can't change your nick.

When you go in thru tinychat.com you still need to set a nick manually.
Personally, best to have users registered so you can keep track of who is using, also it will deter abuse a bit! Always good.

There are other chat programs out there with different good and bad points that can be used in place of tinychat.
Michael Leader
Michael Aug 20 '10
Just to clarify,
I have updated the tinychat plugin and it creates what looks like a random room name!
This should stop people randomly joining! Woop!
So if you goto the tinychat page on your oxwall site view the page source, search for "room" in the text and the big random but between "" is your room name.
open http://tinychat.com/bigrandomname and you will connect to the same room. The only issue is that anyone going in thru tinychat will be able to moderate by the looks of it so keep this semi secret! (lol)

It is a vast improvement and makes tinychat more useable! TY Ox!
Den Team
Den Aug 20 '10
:)
We fully understand that TInyChat isn't the best choice for default chat due to it's own limitations. That's why we are looking for other alternatives and I hope we will release it in near future.
Thanks
Michael Leader
Michael Aug 20 '10
Also to note, If you have invalid characters in your name the tinychat may not change your random chatname to your proper one... Oops!

Actually apart from others being able to moderate your channel tinychat is OK for what it does...
Virtuoz
Virtuoz Apr 12 '11
Ok first of all oxwall on the first view seems to be good.I am aware that it took a lots of work on the project but lets be honest.Is this Open source? yes so why lots of stuff on oxwal is impossible to set or change, like the owner of the site whants?One of the things is this tiny chat plugin the owner of the site cant moderat or boroadcast , cant eawen change the chat to put owners tiny chat ..this is a big fail.Also the themes are impossible to rearange and i dont whant mention the "powered by oxwall" anoing link in the footer bar.Someone will say "but it doesent meters", i say yes it does.Great project , nice platform but in the end to much restricted to be a "Open source" .for exapmple Buddypress also Opensource and no restrictions no "you must" have this or that .I will return back to wordpress , i had installed oxwall but for all thing that i have mentioned i will uninstal it .People dont like "you must have" thing on Open source projects , that is the reason why they call it Open source .Thanks and Wish you all good but for me its a little bit dissapointment

PS. sorry for bad english
The Forum post is edited by Virtuoz Apr 12 '11
Tango
Tango Apr 30 '11
i use a network called everywherechat its a flash based chat very simple with moderated controls cant get on with the tinychat random users lol
The Forum post is edited by Tango Apr 30 '11
Michael Leader
Michael May 1 '11
Tinychat works fine. I like the username integration with the site.

@Virtuoz, If tinychat doesn't work for you, use another chat. Oxwall haev openly admitted it isn't the best! You can change anything about the site to whatever way you like.
There is only one restriction and that is to not remove the "powered by oxwall" banner. If the problem is that the coding will not allow it then that is because it was done in a way to make the site function the way it does, not because someone wanted to "block" people from doing stuff.

This is the first free social site I have seen that did everything I wanted. Yes Wordpress and Buddypress came close for me but this site (even in beta mode early on) ticked all my boxes where buddypress did not.

Sorry you dont want to use it. We need more people other than oxwall to help and customise this project. Fingers crossed in the future there will be a plethora of plugins and themes!
Nuevo
Nuevo Jun 2 '11
hi...sorry for my english but i dont understand how to make my self a moderator in my own chat room?
greets