We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Possible To Change Cron Time? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Bob Brown
Bob Brown Aug 27 '15
Hello,

Is it possible to change the cron time configuration for sending out emails? And is all the cron times that run the same? Is the verification emails sent out under cron and are those the same times sent as the forgot password email?

Regards,

Bobby
ross Team
ross Aug 28 '15
Oxwall Tips
Oxwall Tips Sep 1 '15
If you don't have SMTP enabled verification and forgot password emails don't even need Cron, they are sent right away.

Cron jobs run differently. One can job can be executed once in 1 hour, another one once in 10 minutes and some are once in 3 months. Exact timing is not really needed for Cron. You just set frequency without specifying exact time like every 5th minute of every hour. Saying once in an hour is more then enough.
Bob Brown
Bob Brown Sep 1 '15
Hello,

Ok that is great news! Actually I do have SMTP enabled. And all smtp pass test and say success when bypassing threw. Just takes a minute to get those forgot password emails and new registered user email confirmations. Usually when you register for a site, it doesn't take long to get that verification email, and it seems it take a few minutes to actually get that email. And people are like where is the email I don't see it lol.

Regards,

Bobby.

Oxwall Tips
Oxwall Tips Sep 2 '15
Is there any reason you decided to enable SMTP?

Overall a little delay up to 10 minutes is ok when it comes to Cron related emails. First script waits until Cron runs. Then it sends over the email to SMTP server,  SMTP server in turn does a whole bunch of actions no human can understand. And only then mail gets delivered.

If you would like to receive verification and forgot password emails faster just disable SMTP ( unless there was a very important reason why you enabled it)
Bob Brown
Bob Brown Sep 2 '15
Hello,

I thought it would be much better to use this way of sending out mass emails from the site to a large mount of staff and or site individuals. Our server is very capable of handling large task. We have a very good server with cloud integration. Everything seems to be working well. Just the delays in the email notifications for getting versification is all. Is there some type of outgoing mail policy I need to set forth. As I have mine set on a level of 5.

Regards,

Bobby B.