We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Is it possible to use two different themes one for mobile one for desktop? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Development » Themes
Seyed
Seyed Feb 3 '16
I have recently bought a theme which is beautiful and responsive on mobile but not as good on pc. Is it possible to use say the simplicity theme when the devise is not mobile? Thanks.
Anitaku
Anitaku Feb 3 '16
Only if the theme has a mobile version. Simply replace the mobile folder from the new theme with the mobile folder in your current theme. 
Anitaku
Anitaku Feb 3 '16
You can't run 2 mobile sites or 2 desktop sites. Only 1 of each. There is/was (haven't checked) a theme roll plug in that allows your members to switch themes.

I'd suggest hiring a dev to handle your requests if you are unsure with coding. 

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Feb 3 '16
Actually the mobile folder will only contain the Oxwall default mobile theme. All of the theme's mobile capabilities are set with media queries in the base css of the theme.  This allows you to disable the default mobile, and use the responsive capabilities of the theme. What you would be trying to do to achieve this would be using a media query to make a call to another theme file for mobile screens sizes. I'm not sure if this is possible. Try doing a google search.  It would definitely be a custom job for a dev,
Seyed
Seyed Feb 3 '16
You are right Thanks Phil and Darryl.
Seyed
Seyed Feb 4 '16
May I ask if the simplicity theme - or another oxwall native theme- is responsive so we can use it for both cases? If not, do you know any other theme which is good on both mobile and pc and is well written so can be modified if needed? The theme I have bought is very difficult to figure out and modify.
Thanks.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Feb 4 '16
Simplicity is only semi responsive. It will do okay on a tablet, but smaller devices are a no go. There are several good responsive themes in the store. Just depends on what you are looking for. If it doesn't say responsive, it most likely isn't. When using a responsive theme you would disable the mobile in the admin panel to use the responsive capability of the theme. If you don't disable it, you will see the default Oxwall mobile theme.
Seyed
Seyed Feb 4 '16
Thanks Darryl. Do you know any theme whose css code is very organized and tidy so can be easily understood and modified? Thanks.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Feb 5 '16
I can only speak for the OW Visuals themes that I have, but there are others that look very nice as well. You just want to make sure that the version of the theme you find interesting is current with the latest Owall version. If you are planning to adjust css in the themes base css file instead of adding customization in the admin panel, one thing you will want to remember is  that any time the theme is updated; you will lose all of your changes since the update will overwrite the changes that you make. If they are done in the admin panel/ appearance / customization, your changes will remain.
Seyed
Seyed Feb 6 '16
All right, thanks very much Darryl.
That point you made about the css changes is interesting. Is it possible to make changes to the base.css directly (as opposed to using admin panel) and make a copy of it before changing the them and finally, after changing the theme, replace the new theme's base.css with the copy of the old base.css? Would that keep the changes, or the changes will be lost?
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Feb 7 '16
That would kinda make updating pointless since you would be overwriting the update. The updates will have modifications to fix issues, or for platform compatibility. I've done some pretty heavy modifications to the css using the admin panel. What you put in there will only apply to the theme you are customizing. If you choose to modify the base css, you could document your changes, and re-apply them after an update. The choice would be yours. I recommend using the admin panel. I made a couple of customized themes where I did modify the base css, I have to take care of any updates they need. For this you would need to read the docs on theme customization, and development. It involve editing the theme xml file, and adding your developer key. I did this with the Simplicity theme.
Seyed
Seyed Feb 8 '16
Right! Thanks Darryl.
Jonathan Hol
Jonathan Hol Mar 25 '18
I tried to follow this explanation by switching the mobile folder inside of my present theme folder.. But still the old mobile theme is present. I dont undertstand this. I thought I had removed the right mobile folder?

Please advice, I want to use WhatsApp mobile theme inside of Professional theme.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Mar 25 '18
The "mobile" folder in themes contain the files for the default Oxwall mobile version for those who wish to use it.
Responsive themes are designed to not use the default Oxwall mobile. If using a responsive theme, you have the option to disable the default Oxwall mobile theme in the admin panel, and let the theme's responsive design work on you mobile devices.
You can't copy a theme into the "mobile"folder because the Oxwall core controls the default Oxwall mobile, and looks in that folder for the files.
ole dahl
ole dahl Jul 16 '18
sorry to say mobile theme is  complete  useless  tried  using chat  no luck,  cant believe  who  can make  such  bad  theme, and admin theme  has  hard to read  chat,  just another  ugly   made  theme that suck eggs.

its  so strange. i would gladly make  own themes if  system had  build in theme editor  must be easy to make   using javascript version  of  ckeditor should  be abel to do just that, so  i challenge  you  coders to  make  that option or  just a mobile and  admin theme  that actual  is  possible to use  strange  make  great oxwall  system, and  fail  on such  important  things, i am so disappointed

JB TECH
JB TECH Jul 16 '18
Copy the "mobile" folder of the mobile theme you want and paste it into the main directory of your desktop theme, or at least copy the base.css files so there are no developer key issues.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jul 16 '18
The mobile folder has it's own base.css file. The mobile folder contains the default Oxwall mobile version. The base css file in the root of the theme is for the main theme. If you copy, and paste this into another theme, it will seriously affect the themes design. The mobile friendly css for a responsive theme is in the base css that is in the root folder for the theme. Most theme devs will include the default Oxwall mobile version just in case some would rather use that. Devs typically don't do anything with that styling. Just in the main css.
Marius
Marius Jul 22 '18

@Seyed 

You can use two themes. One for mobile and others for desktop.  Works well. I've installed the plugin.

View plugin: 

https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/1310

The Forum post is edited by Marius Jul 22 '18
JB TECH
JB TECH Jul 22 '18

Quote from Darryl B The mobile folder has it's own base.css file. The mobile folder contains the default Oxwall mobile version. The base css file in the root of the theme is for the main theme. If you copy, and paste this into another theme, it will seriously affect the themes design. The mobile friendly css for a responsive theme is in the base css that is in the root folder for the theme. Most theme devs will include the default Oxwall mobile version just in case some would rather use that. Devs typically don't do anything with that styling. Just in the main css.
I mean take another mobile folder base.css and use that one instead of the one attached with their current desktop theme.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jul 22 '18
All of the mobile folders in the themes have the same Oxwall mobile version. Some devs may not update that folder along with software update like I do, but there is nothing special in the mobile folder. It will just give you the basic Oxwall mobile with no customization from the dev. All of the theme design happens in the main css in the root of the theme's folder.
Pages: 1 2 »