We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

1 Million Users | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Justin Trovalds
Justin Trovalds Apr 15 '16
Does Oxwall supports to one million users i have this doubt because MySQL Community Server Database Supports only upto 250000 columns in its table please help in this because it is a serious issue now my site has ~60000 users daily 300 peoples are signing up. 
ross Team
ross Apr 18 '16
Justin, provide please the link to the info where it states this 250000 columns limit for this Community Server we could not find it anywhere, besides, it is column restriction not row, right, there's nothing to be worried about. 
The Forum post is edited by ross Apr 18 '16
ross Team
ross Apr 18 '16
Yes, Oxwall can support such amount of users, but you will need to optimize the code, optimize the server by breaking down it to several pieces, like one for static files, one for user files, one for database etc. 
Justin Trovalds
Justin Trovalds Apr 18 '16
now i tried to put ow_userfile in seperate server i tried so much in config.php but it doesnt work please tell me how can i resolve it
ross Team
ross Apr 18 '16
I'm sorry but you will need to find a professional server administrator who could help you with this, we do not provide assistance on server software configuration (which is needed in this case)
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jul 2 '16
If this is true why they lie about it and why they not do something about it? I feel scammed because i try build up a seriously business for handle more then 500-1000 active members online in the future

please respond to this. is it true that tammy are telling us here?

It is hard to know who you can trust and not trust if there is more other people here that can confirm this is true or not true it would bee a much more help. Because i not have so much members yet on my website but i know oxwall software is load to much things on all pages that not need to bee loaded even on contact page many things are loaded

I no trust anyone only my self and will keep do the rest of my life...

Marcus

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Jul 2 '16
dave Leader
dave Jul 2 '16
Tammy,  

Much of the issues with your install are from your system, the delay in your server that you said has been there ever since you started it has alot to do with issues you may have. So many social scripts including oxwall have process that must be processed by the server immediately and cannot be delayed.  Yet things like adding folders, clearing caches, adding plugins, im sure chat and other things are affected as well are delayed somehow by your system and in your words "just give it a minute or so it will show up".  

This issue cannot be a good thing for a software that is designed to respond immediately to actions and process.  Honestly i feel you have muddled with your server too much and somehow have something there that should not be.  

On the other hand any open source script is going to be challenged with the number of users you have.  You cannot take a free script that is not designed for such a load and then expect it to handle it without some custom work by a pro.  You are tossing stones when you should not be and that is the same thing that got you into trouble before.  It is not a good thing.  

Others have been warned by doing the same thing and using every opportinity they can to trash oxwall, it is not the right way to get things done. 

Over a week ago i suggested to you that you wipe everything off your system, have a professional system administrator set it up for you and then reinstall you site.  It will take a few days is all and you will notice a greately improved performance of your site.   

Or you can just sit here on the forum and do nothing but gripe about things that you have no control over and eventually the same thing will happen that happened last time when you flew off the handle about things. 

I suggest you take some time to try to solve your issue on your server rather than blame oxwall for everything.  The only way to isolate the actual issues is to make sure you have a firm foundation for the script first and then go from there. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 2 '16
dave Leader
dave Jul 2 '16
I am not sticking my head in the sand, i am saying if you have such a super duper fast server then why when you install a plugin, add a file, or anything does it take 2 min to show up on the server.. That sounds like something is wrong to me server side. 

Also i never ever said that oxwall or any script does not have issues when it comes to extremely large sites, i said that if you are going to run a large site then maybe you need to get a professional admin to help you.  They know things that me and you dont and i personally would never run a million user site without a professional server administrator at my side or at least in contact with one to look things over once in a while.  Dont let your stubborn ways "that you know everything" get in the way of letting someone help you.  

I also said that if you dont give any script a good foundation then at high volumes any weakness at all with be amplified, and that is what you are facing now.  But you only blame oxwall for everything.  And that is not right to do so.  

And again you are comparing a huge open source script like wordpress with tons of financial supporters and developers to boot to oxwall and that again is not right to do that.   

The speed of your machine means nothing if there is a problem with it and i believe there is.   So get a pro to help you, make sure your server is 100% on the money and then you can move down the chain and blame other things.  

dave Leader
dave Jul 2 '16
OK fine then that is all i was saying is make sure your stuff is correct before blaming others.  However you are still expecting a volkswagon beatle to win the grand prix. Maybe its time for you to switch to a platform that can handle millions of queries at a time. They are out there you just have to pay for them. 

Oxwall is more of a mid range platform out of the box meaning that most hobbiests or mid range social sites can thrive on it.  But if your going to push it to your level then maybe its time to change to a platform that fits.  You cant and should not expect a small team of developers to code everything they have for a million user site, its just not going to happen, not in your life time and not in mine.  So find a platform that fits and move on.  

dave Leader
dave Jul 2 '16
then you will be waiting a long long time for nothing.. I dont know what ross said or when or how he said it, and i dont care!  now is now and then was then... face the facts and either deal with reality the way it is, or move on to another platform.  

And now i am done with this debate... deal with it or dont deal with it... im not up to arguing over it.. im done

dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '16
I dont really care if your mad or not tammy, but you try to trash my business as you have because your vengefull and that will not stand.  

I really dont are to discuss this topic with you anymore.

Abbey
Abbey Jul 3 '16
I looked at both Justin and Tammys sites and Justins site has around 33000 members not 60000 and none of them are active, I'm guessing they're mainly generated by spam software.
Tammys has about 1800 members few of whom I think are actually active and multiple shi**y plugins, I'm doubtful she's as clued up as she says or ever had 80,000 members on anything ( I'm gauging this by the visual appearance of her site, and I could say more), I would like to say that if Tammy feels oxwall is so lacking she should go use wordpress and become their headache coz frankly I'm sick of seeing her bitc**ng and moaning on here.
The Forum post is edited by Abbey Jul 3 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jul 3 '16
"multiple shi**y plugins" but this plugins are many coming from the oxwall team. so should not they create plugins like the NEW smiley plugin where it main focus was not to slow down the website? and why is it so much shi**y plugins ? i think oxwall team could stop that if they wanted but not look like they cared about if the plugins slow down you site and make it hard for you to use the website with many active users online at same time.

i feel Tammy have a point here and it is good that he bring them up here...and i not sick of he or she bring problems up and complains it is good that we not only have people on this forum that gives "honey" like Dave like to say to me is best way to do give a lot of honey to the team that will not make any better oxwall in my opinion. oxwall need people that complains and bring up problems but then maybe not always all problems are easy to solve but at least they should bee on the roadmap if many complains about it for a long time

i no understand why you can get sick of that probably you much better updates you have in you oxwall website is made from complains on this forum, think about that next time you tell you sick about complains here at oxwall forum

or use a old version and stop updating you platform if you happy with oxwall as it is 

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Jul 3 '16
dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '16
Marcus - what i said was "you get more with honey than with vinegar" I said nothing about giving honey to anyone, it is a metaphor.  Certainly there are times to be strong and i do feel that certain requests are valid.  But as Abbey said the constant B & G on every single post is so annoying and many times is not even on topic, its just an excuse to complain again and again and im sick of it too.  And its always the same two people doing so, i dont hear anyone else saying anything recently. 

Now to try to get this ship righted and get this topic back on topic, i also doubt that certain people have the amount of members they claim. However again i must stress that Oxwall IMO is not designed for the (6 figure)tripple digit member numbers unless you give it some help.  And that is by either modifying the process and/or by giving it a solid base to run on. 

Oxwall is a free open source social software that is built with plugins.  The core is the core and then the rest is plugins.  That is the way it is marketed, that is the way it is designed, that is the way it is.  And if it does not fit your fancy then you are free to try another product.  If you want to push it to its peak then do so, i personally dont have any issues and i think it would perform just fine with a large site with a bit of help now and then. 

I also feel that this topic has been answered beyond its scope and its probably time to close the topic down.  

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 22 '20
Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Jul 3 '16

I agree with Tammy and Maяcus in this topic.

Dave, I have to ask you: Are you running a oxwall website right now?

I do, 1700 members and more people joining fast, people complains that is slow and some of them just leave.

I have one user with more than 100 friends and when I login with this user I have to wait at least 1 minute after that I clean chat messages, mailbox, console, etc.

When I'm not logged in, the website loads in less than 1 second, when I'm logged in, the amount of time depends on how many plugins I have activated "for users only". Between 1 to 10 seconds when there is a lot of users at the same time.

Send the oxwall users to another social platform is not the real answer, the real answer is make everything better and faster, listen to users feedback and do something about it.

Dave, I think that you cannot see the problem here because most of the slowness is because of javascript and ajax.

The other problems are internal, every page loads almost everything in every plugin. Some other problems are because some developers prefer to make things in the wrong way because is the way they feel comfortable with their code, they make more mysql calls than they should because they don't want to make "inner joins". If we want them to stop complaining, then we need to start making things better and faster.

In the meantime, if Tammy or someone else is going to make real serious business with oxwall software, I think that if you hire a experienced developer, you are going to have the best social software ever made.

The Forum post is edited by Senior Developer Jul 3 '16
dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '16
SD i certainly respect your take on this and the fact that you presented it well and easy to understand.  

No i am not currently running a site other than my test site.  However i did have several oxwall sites in the past and never had any issues when it came to the number of users online or with site loading.  So that is what i base my comments on is my experience.  

However if there is an issue then i do agree lets address it, but in a professional and organized way.  Not this free for all where every single issue give grounds to talk about every issue the script might have.  If there is an issue then lets stay focused on topic and address solutions.  If you can offer a solution programming wise then you are welcome to submit it to github.  If not then we can come up with a real factual based solution and present it to the developers. 

But this round and round and round and round about every issue oxwall has is not getting us anywhere at all.  And that is not something that the developers are going to want to hear.  What they want to hear is, "we need to change this code" and here is why!

Also i go back to my thought about we have two people out of how many users that are saying this stuff.  That is a very low percentage, so in that case what are the developers going to think.  Unless it is a mass issue do we expect them to take it seriously, that i cant answer. 

Regarding the joins, yes it is true if we had more sql writtin in joins it would cut down the query footprint.  Maybe that is something that can be weaved into the fabic alittle at a time because it is a major undertaking to do so. 

But then you face the challenge that you have an open source non user friendly (coding wise) script that noone can adapt because they cant understand the code.  Not eveyone is good at complicated inner joins or the like.  And if we make it too complicated then it defeats part of the purpose of being a friendly open source script for the masses.  

Can i do inner joins in my stuff, sure i can.  But i dont want to as you said, its because with my health issues as i degrade i want to be able to understand stuff and not have to stress over it. So i write simpler code at times.  

So maybe there needs to be a middle ground somehow.  Where the query footprint is less but its not so complicated that it scares away would be develpers trying to learn and the common person just trying to make a few changes. 

Thats my take. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 3 '16
dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '16
As an afterthought here i think one thing that can help is to have oxwall preload jquery in the initial stages of the site and keep it updated, so that developers do not have to even worry about loading it.  One thing i have noticed is that some issues are caused by several different versions of jquery being loaded all the time, 1 by oxwall, then another by some plugin, then another by another plugin and so on.  

There needs to be a standard way that oxwall can load jquery initially and tell developers they dont have to worry about it, dont load it because its already loaded.  That would save some issues right there.  

And im not just talking about basic jquery, im talking about the themes, the mini, all of it. It would make the oxwall package footprint larger but it would save on the issues side of things. 

dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '16
But you do have an issue with your server.  I have worked on alot of servers and i have never had the lag delay i had on your server when installing plugins or adding folders. Wether you want to admit it or not there is something up with your server that if fixed could help the situation some.  It takes 1-2 minutes even with filezilla (which has nothing to do with oxwall)for stuff to show up, there is a problem. And even when i cleared the static manually, it did not even show for up to 1 min after i did so. There is a problem.

I never said that was the whole deal, i said that there is a problem somewhere on your server that contributes to the bigger problem.  You proved me wrong like saying "oh wait it will show up in a min or so"  thats just proving me right. 

However again you are trying to make this a personal contest of wills and thats not what this is topic is about.  You keep bringing up time and time again what happend 4 years ago, who cares!!  Deal with right now and stop telling tales about time gone by, it does not matter in order the change the problem.  What matters is isolating the problem and addressing it, not he said she said and all that stuff which helps noone. 

dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '16
See now your going off on some tangent again, thats why people dont take you seriously because you have no clue how to address one problem at a time and focus on that one issue and present it to the developers.  
dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '16
Try to stay focused on this question if you can:  

What is the one thing i can show them exactly what the issue is and how i believe it should be resolved? 

And then present them that, and then move to the next item.  But if you constantly try to give them a laundry list you are just spinning your wheels. 

But you have to understand that is all you can do.. If they decided to say up yours and not do anything then what...  Again all you can do is move to another platform.  You cannot force anyone to do anything. 

If you have been fighting this as long as you have then i strongly suggest you move to another platform that makes you happier instead of constantly trying to change things that you have not been able to yet. 

Pages: 1 2 »