We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

What am i doing wrong? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Dawn
Dawn Oct 6 '12
Hi folks,

I've installed Oxwall and gone to the store to add some plug-ins but for the life of me i can't figure out how to get them to show up on the available plug-in list. 

I'm not a web developer so please make the explanations easy!

Thanks

Dawn

Pete
Pete Oct 7 '12

You want to install plugins for your Oxwall u mean ?

Dawn
Dawn Oct 7 '12
yes Pete, i've been to the store and downloaded them on to my computer, but they are not showing up when i go to my oxwall site.

what am i doing wrong?

Pete
Pete Oct 7 '12
go to your admin ,click on Plugins /add new /brows to pluging on your computer you downloaded,then click upload/  it may ask you for your ftp user name and password  if so use the user name and password you use to log into your hosting account .Now you have uploaded plugin click on aviable plugins and you should see yours ,now go to plugin and put your mouse on it and you will see install ,just click on install  
The Forum post is edited by Pete Oct 7 '12
Purusothaman Ramanujam
The better way would be to upload the plugin zip files manually to the ow_plugins folder of you oxwall installation using cpanel or anyother FTP apps .

Unzip them.

Activate the plugins in your admin.

(Many users face difficulty in using FTP uploads. So I suggest this method)
Dawn
Dawn Oct 7 '12
Pete, that was the first thing i tried but when the FTP details come up every time i put in my details it says "Invalid FTP attributes! Provided user doesn't have permissions to overwrite files."

I've spoken to my hosting company to verify the information is correct but it's just not letting me add the files.

Do you have any ideas?

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Dawn,

This is a common issue with oxwall. Thats why I have mentioend to upload the files via cpanel.

Although ur login/password is correct, oxwall does not allow you to login.
Dawn
Dawn Oct 7 '12
Purusothaman, i tried to follow your directions but i got lost.

In my ftp i created a folder that says ow_plugins and have added 2 of the zips i want added to my site and unzipped them.

But i don't know what to do from there

Pete
Pete Oct 7 '12

here is how to below

Pete
Pete Oct 7 '12

Pete
Pete Oct 7 '12

Were it says host (localhost)remove and  put in your webhost ip 44.998.00.66. or whatever

then login ,put in your control panel username

password put your control panel password

and you should now be ok

Pete
Pete Oct 7 '12

To set your cron up

/usr/bin/php5  /home/sites/your domain name here/public_html/ow_cron/run.php

leave that space were php5  /home like above      if it causes errors remove the 5 and put 4  ,if you still get errors just use /php without  number on end

as the cron file is a php file you must use the above code,some servers run php4 and if updated php5

Pete
Pete Oct 7 '12
if you put oxwall in sub domain   after public_html/your sub domain/ow_cron/run.php
Pete
Pete Oct 7 '12
Pete
Pete Oct 7 '12

oN CPANEL IT LOOKS A LITTLE DIFFERENT BUT STILL USE SAME COMMAND LINE AND RUN CRON JOB EVERY MIN .

rIGHT THIS IS HOW YOU SET UP YOUR CRON JOBS PROPER  .

Pete
Pete Oct 7 '12

Dawn
Dawn Oct 8 '12
wow! that should be in martian!! 

I'll read over it carefully and follow the instructions. It's in a sub domain just now but i intend moving it over once it's fully functioning.

Just to muddle things further, i've got a friend to sign up but they are getting a 500 error after they do the registration and are not getting the activation emails.

Could that be something to do with the cron, i've not even gone near that yet

nic

x

Pete
Pete Oct 8 '12
Prob because your cron is not set up .If you or not on cpanel you might get login dets for your account ,and diff ones for your ftp . if so use you ftp user name and password for FTP Attributes in oxwall along with your ip address . I get dif ones because i am with hartinternet and thy do not use cpanel.
The Forum post is edited by Pete Oct 8 '12
Den Team
Den Oct 9 '12
Topic was moved from Oxwall Store.
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Quote from Dawn
Purusothaman, i tried to follow your directions but i got lost.

In my ftp i created a folder that says ow_plugins and have added 2 of the zips i want added to my site and unzipped them.

But i don't know what to do from there

Once you have uplodaded the zip file, unzip them with the tools available (Cpanel has extract option).

Now you can enable the plugin in Admin.

If you get any errors like 500 page, enable DEBUG and DEV mode in ow_includes/config.php file. This will say the reason for the issue.
Pages: 1 2 »