We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Spam users with same avatar | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Purusothaman Ramanujam
In the recent times, I see that many spam users get registered who has the same avatar image.

Its not just in my site... I have seen that in many of our members site.

Are they using any security holes to create their accounts?

Note: Spam blocking plugins are also in use...
Abbey
Abbey Oct 14 '12
I have this issue as well, I think there's a link somewhere to a site that's selling a spam software which I think is the culprit, and the anti spam software doesn't work, I tried it and it blocks way more than just the spammers.
I thought the new security release was to help address this issue but apparently not.

Alia Team
Alia Oct 15 '12
Regarding users with same avatar, we checked the script and we didn't find any bugs that would have allowed  this kind of actions. If we find the solution to this issue, we will surely include it into the next builds. For now Anti Spammer is the best solution.
Purusothaman Ramanujam
The users keep on registering. I am sure that it some security hole which makes it easy for them.
Quote from Aliia Regarding users with same avatar, we checked the script and we didn't find any bugs that would have allowed  this kind of actions. If we find the solution to this issue, we will surely include it into the next builds. For now Anti Spammer is the best solution.

Anti Spammer works fine. But there are several other issues related to SEO due to the plugin. The feeds generated for oxwall sites can not be accessed by sites which parse RSS feeds. Those sites are blocked and gets redirected to www.site/spam/sorry page. Due to this, several app/site can not process the site feeds.

Oxwall team says that they checked and everything is fine. But issue exists which is not yet identified. The same for oxwall automatic updates in admin using FTP.

Many has said that it does not work. The same case here.. Something is still out there unidentified.
Alia Team
Alia Oct 15 '12
>>>But there are several other issues related to SEO due to the plugin...

Great point.  I think that those suggestions should be posted in the support forum of Anti Spammer. Those modifications would make it perfect!

>>>Oxwall team says that they checked and everything is fine. But issue exists which is not yet identified. The same for oxwall automatic updates in admin using FTP.

We are constantly checking the script. If the issue is there we will find what have caused this. Regarding the issue with updates, we are ready to deal with each issue separately, just create a separate topic in the forum with as much details as possible.

>>>Many has said that it does not work. The same case here.. Something is still out there unidentified.

It is in our interests to fix any issues related to our script.  And we are ready to deal with them. Basically, if something was not unidentified, we don't forget about it after checking once. We constantly look for best solutions.

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Thanks for your updates Aliia.

Many of my posts in the past has went un-replied and lost the track due to this. Only members reply to each other. The oxwall team should also involve in the discussions to solve the issue as it happens.
Alia Team
Alia Oct 15 '12
Our team is growing and with more new people we are expecting more timely and effective replies  in each topic.