We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Powered by Removal.. | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Ajay
Ajay Mar 1 '11
Like many other open source scripts and software's in the market is there any licensing charges to remove "powered by Oxwall" if someone is willing to create his own social networking website..

If yes than what are the charges?
Emil Team
Emil Mar 1 '11
Unlike other projects we don't want to be in the business of selling link removal. Our license (CPAL) allows you to do anything with Oxwall (including reselling your own builds) but requires to have reference link in place.

It's one of the few ways to promote free software so please do not remove. You spread the word this way and it's the best you can do for us if you feel like giving back.

Thanks,
Emil
Ajay
Ajay Mar 1 '11
Thanks for response… i agree with you… and it should be there…

But what i wanted to ask is if someone is willing to create a commercial or official networking website so obviously he would not like to reveal which software he has used to create his site for security purpose and other issues… Such peoples will definitely would like to have licensing for their website.
Michael Leader
Michael Mar 8 '11
There was a method early on where you oculd contact oxwall previously for permisison to debrand. I did this for the very reason to temp. remove branding with fear of someone seeing the code and copying. Followed the advice, contacted but the email got bounced back to me...

No matter now, all fine. Don't mind the links.
Ashok Leader
Ashok Jul 8 '11
>But what i wanted to ask is if someone is willing to create a commercial or official networking website so obviously he would not like to reveal which software he has used to create his site for security purpose and other issues… Such peoples will definitely would like to have licensing for their website.

If the developers say so...you can't do that. If you remove it from core files even after refusal by developers , that is a moral issue . We should obey the developers who spent hundreds of hours for developments , most of their working time for Forum support and valuable price for hosting this Site :)

They do need to take care of many things to let their service a long run . So promoting via 'promotional links ' is one of the way to support them

If you really need a White labeling service ... choose BuddyPress(GPL) or Elgg (GPL) like scripts for your Project . I hope you understand that

Regards ,
Ashok
Christian
Christian Feb 8 '12
I have to agree with ajay we used to run a site with over 10k membership we have now moved to oxwall, maybe they should consider a fee to remove branding links. this would be very helpful even if it was a subscription to remove. Just a thought. but keep up the good work.
Mike
Mike Feb 8 '12
I guess the license is there, it allows you to use this for free on the condition that you leave the link. In all fairness, if a site is commercial and so big that they worry about competition, spend the money and make your own software. 
Joseph
Joseph Apr 8 '12
well if a site was that big they would have the knowledge to go about talking with oxwall and the technicians/programmers to remove the links
Christian
Christian Apr 8 '12
well joseph you would think that the programmers are that approachable and helpful when we had the interracialtouch site we payed dolphin to remove the licence for a year and it was subscription based then they gave us the op to remove it permanetly for a one off fee, l have approached oxwall programmers about this and like they said to me it doesnt matter how many members a site has or how big they have no intentions of negotiating with individuals to remove the link, so its not as simple as that as l have asked and approached  and proven our membership database its makes no difference to them as they have stated. ( If you really need a White labeling service ... choose BuddyPress(GPL) or Elgg (GPL) like scripts for your Project . as was made cear to me when l asked about removing branding infact l felt they were saying look if you want it that bad move to buddy press. no attack on you joseph but we have had the numbers which is proved but that means nothing to programmers 

Mark
Mark Apr 8 '12
no matter how big my site gets (currently at 3k members) i will always show the powered by oxwall link, just like i will always show the powered by wordpress link on my blog sites, these guys have chosen to dedicate their time to create a piece of software for others to use, regardless of how big your site gets it would not have got to that position without the help of the people that developed the software in the first place.

if you have this money to chuck at oxwall to remove the link and the link really annoys you that much then why not chuck that money at a developer and have your own script programmed?

Christian
Christian Apr 8 '12
We all have different views and different reasons for running our sites, not once have l said the oxwall site was no good l was merely making an inquiry and yes l would of liked to remove the oxwall branding and be able to pay them for that privilege instead of paying a programmer, the oxwall site has been very well designed and is a good work, hence one of the reasons we started to use it, but l don't think because we have asked if they would be willing it deserves you telling me what we should do with our money my post was not directed at you and the fact you use oxwall does not make you a spokesmen for them. 

Andreas
Andreas Aug 18 '12
I know a CMS and they add a comment in the header. This Comment says "Opensource..." But you cannot delete it, because it is generated in the Backend. Why not use this one?

I hate this "Powered by" to, but why not? Just to make a little advertising for oxwall...

It is no Problem to hide the oxwall copyright or the Button in the Footer :D. I just tested it. But I am not willing to post it here because Oxwall don't want to delete this Button and the copyright.
Den Team
Den Aug 24 '12
Quote from Andreas This Comment says "Opensource..." But you cannot delete it, because it is generated in the Backend. Why not use this one?

Is it a truly open source If it is generated in backend and can't be modified? :) There are a lot of "open source" software which asks your money for branding removal covered under different packages for "small fee". 

Quote from Andreas I hate this "Powered by" to, but why not? Just to make a little advertising for oxwall...
And that's is all we ask for using Oxwall. No money, no fees, subscriptions and the other tricks. We believe this is as in truly open source should be. 

Quote from Andreas It is no Problem to hide the oxwall copyright or the Button in the Footer :D. I just tested it. But I am not willing to post it here because Oxwall don't want to delete this Button and the copyright
Thanks, we really believe in people honesty!

Labuzzteam
Labuzzteam Sep 18 '12

Scuse my english i'm french :

i have a problem with that all of my member want do the same . 

So they come to my oxwall website site i found by myself cause i'm a webmaster interested  by web so it's my personnal cms search.

Finely What's happen ? 

They don't wan't participate cause they know the magic ( the way i do my site ) , it's normal they love web too & they want to there version and take oportunity ( but they don't do there search ) .

The consequence for my Project is :

I haved a serious Project - i searched and i Found a perfect Cms - i did reflexion for the way i 'll present & organise  my serious community and 

finely no people Partcipe cause they see the way to do the same thing like me and more they see the way i organise my Comunity .

Morality , i 'm only a Shop window a (Showcase) for Owall  .

And i sad cause it's was perfect for the project i dream off .

You can understand that ?

With all of My repect and Consideration ,

Buzz

Alia Team
Alia Sep 19 '12

Labuzzteam, we understand your concerns. However, reference link is the only way we can spread the word about our software.Oxwall Foundation is a non-profit organization, which means our team does not get any money for the effort and in turn for the product we offer, we ask only one thing - not to delete the reference link.

Andreas
Andreas Sep 19 '12
Look here:
http://blog.oxwall.org/2011/03/how-to-remove-powered-by-oxwall

Quote from there:
This is the question we are being asked too often. If you are looking for a quick answer, here it is: Please don’t remove Oxwall reference from your site. We wouldn’t like you to do it even if you offer money.
Quote ends... ;)

So give them 1000$ :D or so and delete it. It could be so easy ;)
Alia Team
Alia Sep 19 '12
Andreas, even $10 000 will not change our rules. We want our software users to have the reference link on their sites  =)
Labuzzteam
Labuzzteam Sep 22 '12
Ok team i understand , i like pour cms so i continu with You ^^.
But i'm worry because or the compétition .
Labuzzteam
Labuzzteam Sep 22 '12
Because of, scuse me.
Trips
Trips Dec 6 '12
Is it possible to remove thumbnail against a link? I want to keep powered by oxwall in text hyperlink, but not the thumbnail as while sharing to social sites it shared the thumbnail
Pages: 1 2 »