We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Powered by Removal.. | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Alia Team
Alia Dec 10 '12
Trips, Oxwall license policy doesn't allow removing thumbnails.
damien frost
damien frost Feb 8 '13
I have to agree with Trips. Sharing site on networks like facebook brings up your logo a thumbnail only.

How to resolve this to keep both parties happy and legal?
Tester
Tester Feb 10 '13

Quote from Aliia Andreas, even $10 000 will not change our rules. We want our software users to have the reference link on their sites  =)

I like it Aliia. Even if there is a removal option, I would not have pounced on it.
Are you guys afraid that every member of your site will press that orange button, make his/her own network, and leave your site?
cit27
cit27 Feb 10 '13
It looks oxwall has made a new rules about it: http://blog.oxwall.org/2013/02/donate-to-oxwall-development
Alia Team
Alia Feb 11 '13
Tester, we are not "afraid", it is just that we would like others to honor the work done by our developers.

cit27, thank you for sharing the link with others.
Tester
Tester Feb 11 '13

Quote from Aliia Tester, we are not "afraid", it is just that we would like others to honor the work done by our developers.
Allia, you mistook me :)
That question was addressed to those who clamour for the removal.
Alia Team
Alia Feb 12 '13
Sorry, Tester....  )))
Ted Weddell
Ted Weddell Apr 23 '13
It's too bad.. I really like Oxwall, am happy to pay for the extensions, and I would be happy to pay for link removal. But I cannot tell everybody who visits my community what software I use and where they can it for free. I have to find another solution. Bummer. :\
Josh
Josh Aug 16 '13
I tried to do the attribution and I found some trouble with it... I suppose I will give more info.

I found the instructions kind of tough. The instructions call for a page footer. Are they saying Admin>main settings>page settings>custom tail code? 

The other thing is where to put the PNG file on my server. It says to put it in my server, but where? 

Being that my theme is blue, I was going to change the logo to blue... but seeing that I cannot - I can just accept it as orange. I mean orange would be a good second theme color.. But now I am just interested since I have invested time and energy into doing the attribution. 

As for the button, I had a bunch of ideas when reading what you all wrote earlier. I understand that money isn't what the Oxwall team is after. They have been offered thousands of dollars and still won't take it (again, good open source philosophy). Instead, I know they rely on people. People are what they want and need - they want people to use their operating system. So, offer them people. As for those people that want that link removed, they ought to move on to another system for their website. 

I for one love the button because it shows me what Oxwall is about: users. They want their stuff used, so i won't hide it. I will let people know about this awesome software! I know that letting people know and word of mouth is the only way open source (truly open source) will flourish.. money, well money can only get you so far. 

Attachments:
  2013-08-16 03.46.15 pm.png (81.98Kb)
  2013-08-16 03.40.27 pm.png (22.64Kb)
Julian
Julian Jul 28 '15
I guess I'm coming in a bit late, here, but it seems to me there are two basic objections to the "Powered by Oxwall" link:
The first is from the egotists who, although they would never admit to it, are unwilling to acknowledge that they are riding on the back of someone else's hard work. Well, shame on you!
The second is from those who are afraid that the bad guys will hack their site. Well, it's time to relax and get over it. If someone is good enough to hack your site, they will have no trouble at all figuring out which platform you are using.
Combined, these rationales cover pretty much every objection, including those who don't want someone else to steal their idea. Really! If someone wants to steal your concept, a ten-minute web search will find every available platform worth having and quite a few ideas which are probably better than your own! Get used to it, as soon as you go public, your idea can be stolen.
That's my ten-cent's worth and many, unreserved, thanks to the Oxwall team.
The Forum post is edited by Julian Jul 28 '15
Shane James
Shane James Mar 10 '18
These mobile applications reinvents the method firms provide fringe benefit, adp login Bear in mind exactly how this mobile application provides.
Pages: « 1 2