We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Oxwall CPU Excess Usage | Forum

Manuel Andrés
Manuel Andrés Jan 27 '13
Hi Oxwall Forum, I've a site with oxwall but my host always runs out of resources, more specific high cpu usage. I am using a VPS but Oxwall takes too much resources... someone else has this happened with oxwall? Hopefully Oxwall optimize the script in a great way so this does not happen anymore! Has anyone been able to resolve this? Is there any way to clean out Oxwall to use less cpu? We really tried everything, paid a VPS, we maximize cache using cloud, but nothing has yielded results... It's quite annoying! Thanks for replies
suresh kumar
suresh kumar Jan 28 '13
i use shared hosting but i dont get any problemd my usage never goes above 8%.
Manuel Andrés
Manuel Andrés Jan 28 '13
It's weird because I do not have any members on my site, and plugins are deactivated... what I can do?
Unique
Unique Jan 28 '13
check bot access to your site
Manuel Andrés
Manuel Andrés Jan 28 '13
Suresh... less than 8%?? How did you do it? Any bot is accessing to my site, I tried EVERYTHING!
Ronald Roberts
Ronald Roberts Jan 28 '13
Try Upgrading your VPS... Ya I know it cost money!
Manuel Andrés
Manuel Andrés Jan 28 '13
Isn't an option, I'm paying a VPS and Oxwall does not work!
MarkieMark67
MarkieMark67 Jan 28 '13
Lets start with who do you use for hosting. That might be a big part of the problem. 
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Jan 28 '13
Check to see if there is mail going out each time a cron job is activated, as this is the main problem that causes the spikes and cpu overload. Open up the cron at the top of the page your see a link to set up an email each time a cron job is done click on the link and delete the email address and save.

Alia Team
Alia Jan 29 '13
Manuel, this is indeed weird considering that you don't have any members.

Can you try Bob's and MarkieMark67's questions/suggestions ?
Purusothaman Ramanujam

Quote from MarkieMark67 Lets start with who do you use for hosting. That might be a big part of the problem. 

I feel who ever you are having as hosting provider, this should not be a problem. Any decent VPS should be too good than a normal shared hosting.
suresh kumar
suresh kumar Jan 29 '13
The problem may be in your hosting or you would be using lot of 3rd party plugins which will lag the server..
suresh kumar
suresh kumar Jan 29 '13
And in cpanel under softwares and services there will be an option called optimise website . do it. reduces few % of server usage.

If its not reducing the usage too much change the cron from 1 minute to 5 minutes.
The Forum post is edited by suresh kumar Jan 29 '13
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Jan 29 '13
I am looking into this Suresh.
Quote from suresh kumar The problem may be in your hosting or you would be using lot of 3rd party plugins which will lag the server..
If the plugin addresses the cron too much this could be the case. i see the need of quality testing of all independent developed plugins within the Oxwall store. We at present have no clue how they are addressing the cron with cron jobs.    

bobbi
bobbi Jan 29 '13
we had the same problem and tried everything to address it, and i mean everything, we deactivated every plug in, we tied everything server side too, crons etc you name it we tried it, our cpu and vm just would not stop spiking, server host told us the cause was site traffic mainly bots/spammers which still accessed our site even with watch dog in place,

we have changed to a vps server now in hope that it solves the problem