We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Please help with questions on ''friend'' so that we can proceed with oxwall | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
risha
risha Feb 11 '13
How to make my contents or a specific blog post or a particular photo friend-only ?

How can I ( or any user ) see friends' activity only and not the entire site OR just shift from tab to tab as and when wished?

How to tag or hypermark a friend directly on the photo?
risha
risha Feb 11 '13
Thanks I have seen the Privacy module BUT it does not seem to make a certain blogpost or a certain photo friend only

Is it possible to see only friend activity in newsfeed with this module?
Unique
Unique Feb 11 '13

Quote from risha How to make my contents or a specific blog post or a particular photo friend-only ?

There is no this setting on default oxwall privacy....You need custom modification

->Is it possible to see only friend activity in newsfeed with this module?
If you activated the friend plugin .....you will see the items posted by you and friends that you follow.
You can olso see all applications such as joining group activities/groups that you follow, etc on newsfeed widget of dashboard page.
GooTr
The Forum post is edited by Unique Feb 11 '13
risha
risha Feb 11 '13
Hi Unique

Thanks - social net is all about privacy and who can see what :)
Thanks 4 the top up

Can u plz say how to see only friends activity in the main or index page newsfeed instead of all the site users activity

I have Friend module YET I can see all the site activity of those who are not my friend

Thnx again
SL
SL Feb 11 '13
Oxwall has 3 special page: profile, dashboard, and index page

newsfeed widget on /index page is for all the site user activity..can be olso as public main page. Special for what you want can be found on user /dashboard page...

cit27
cit27 Feb 11 '13
Other solution is by disabling newsfeed widget on /index page...so your users will only see the newsfeed from their dashboard ...

/index page is belong to all users and visitors (set as public)
/dashboard page is belong to users

The Forum post is edited by cit27 Feb 11 '13
Alia Team
Alia Feb 11 '13
Thank you for answering cit27 and Raden.

Jennifer
Jennifer Feb 18 '13
This doesn't solve the initial problem, though.  It is similar to something I posted about newsfeed privacy.  I, too, have the friend and privacy plugins enabled.  I hid the newsfeed on the MAIN or index page.  I thought that solved the issue.  However, (let's assume both person A and person B are not currently friends and that Person B has everything set to FRIENDS ONLY) as soon as Person A sends a friend REQUEST to Person B, all of person B's activity shows up in Person A's dashboard feed.  Even if Person B rejects the request, their stuff is all over person A's feed.  

We can't go live, either, until we find a solution to this.  Is this a custom mod?  We left elgg because of this same issue.

cit27
cit27 Feb 18 '13
When you makes a someone as your friend, then "the follow system" will also be automatically activated. But you can change it, by opening a user profile page that you make as a friends and following. Then click on "UnFollow button". That is means, you just make a user as your friend, but you do not keep the latest newsfeed stream from him.

Follow Friend means that you follow the latest newsfeed activity from friends that you follow such as: their comments, status message, upload photos / video, group, etc. that will appear at your dashboard streams page.
The Forum post is edited by cit27 Feb 18 '13
Jennifer
Jennifer Feb 18 '13
Quote from cit27 When you makes a someone as your friend, then "the follow system" will also be automatically activated. But you can change it, by opening a user profile page that you make as a friends and following. Then click on "No Follow button". That is means, you just make a user as your friend, but you do not keep the latest newsfeed stream from him.

Follow Friend means that you follow the latest newsfeed activity from friends that you follow such as: their comments, status message, upload photos / video, group, etc. that will appear at your dashboard streams page.

Thanks for replying, but it doesn't fix the issue that I am having.  It does work for the OP's issue, I think.  

I understand that this method would keep Person B's activity from continuing to show in Person A's feed. However, the real problem is that Person B wants their activity PRIVATE or FRIENDS ONLY, and Person A has access to it just by sending a friend request.  I want to make it so that if Person B has their stuff set to Friends Only, then they have to accept a friend request from Person A in order for Person A to see Person B's stuff.  

Right now, it is more of a twitter-style setup, and I had hoped the friends and privacy modules would make it more like facebook.  This isn't the case, and I am wondering if there is a way to fix it.  I appreciate any feedback. 

The Forum post is edited by Jennifer Feb 18 '13
cit27
cit27 Feb 18 '13
Quote from risha How to make my contents or a specific blog post or a particular photo friend-only ?

How can I ( or any user ) see friends' activity only and not the entire site OR just shift from tab to tab as and when wished?

How to tag or hypermark a friend directly on the photo?

You need to create a good question?
Jennifer
Jennifer Feb 18 '13

You need to create a good question?
I'm sorry.  I don't understand.  Do you mean create a new forum post?

cit27
cit27 Feb 18 '13
I am sorry my english....I think your main question has been answered by previous users 
Jennifer
Jennifer Feb 18 '13
I apologize.  I have used the search terms "friend" "newsfeed" and "privacy" and have gone through all of the posts related to those topics.  I didn't see my issue anywhere, but I will try to keep looking.  I am not sure what else to search under.  Thank you for your replies.

I also apologize to the OP if my question was not the same as yours and I hijacked your thread.

cit27
cit27 Feb 18 '13

Quote from Jennifer the real problem is that Person B wants their activity PRIVATE or FRIENDS ONLY, and Person A has access to it just by sending a friend request.

I need to test this question on my site....(I will let You know) or other user will give u the answer
Jennifer
Jennifer Feb 18 '13
To clarify, I am referring to activity being posted to the newsfeed...even the dashboard newsfeed.  The privacy plugin does block people from being able to see photos, profiles, etc.  However, your posts to the newsfeed still show up, even if you did not accept a friend request from someone.

In viewing the Changelog for the 1.3.2 update, it reads, "With friend request a user automatically follows another user." So, it appears that this is done on purpose. I'm wondering if we can somehow block this from happening.

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Jennifer,

Its not possible to control an individual blog or post privacy as "Friends only". The privacy in general applies to all the post/photos.

I believe you can not avoid automatic follow on friend request, unless some files are modified.

Hope I answered you.
risha
risha Feb 18 '13

Hi Jennifer - yes those were my issues too.

Social networking script needs good strong and granular privacy controls - but apparently this does not happen by default in oxwall. Sort of frustrated as oxwall (minus the blog) appears to be very sleek.

Jennifer
Jennifer Feb 18 '13

Agreed.  I don't need to set individual posts or blogs separately.  I was hoping to get newsfeed post privacy, which is apparently not an option.  I actually thought I had fixed it and started paying for plugins.  It isn't sounding like this is something that can be fixed with an additional plugin (or at least not without a great deal of expense).  I'm wondering now if there are any open source social networking products that are by default friend-based and not follow-based.  I also agree that the blog isn't great, but it is functional.  I like the forum plugin, built in chat...Oxwall is a great product, but I'm thinking it is best for follow-style networks or completely open networks and not for my particular project.

Purusothaman Ramanujam
I believe you can remove the follow feature by making some changes in the code or with a simple plugin. Not tried, but it would be possible.
Pages: 1 2 »