We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

I found the bad news about oxwall | Forum

cit27
cit27 Feb 20 '13
The title is:
… Oxwall has ....blogwyn.com/?p=7
Dean L
Dean L Feb 20 '13
Yep, pretty harsh.

Although if you think you can build a perfect website just by throwing money at it then you're sorely mistaken. Sometimes you have to do your homework with what plugins are going to be good for your site and which ones are not. Plugins don't always work as they should but if you contact the developer then most times, within hours, the plugin is updated.

I've heard bad reviews about only one developer on here... <-- On here, this website! The one which this reviewer is saying always wants only 'good' reviews and nothing else is tolerated. To me it feels like he never took the time to read these forums or he would of found out that not all plugins are perfect - Some members of Oxwall still have problems with certain plugins to this day! It doesn't mean that they're going to give up. Contacting and working with the developer is the way forward.... Conflicts between plugins can and does happen! This is why you cannot lump $200 worth of plugins in a website and hope they all work together.

Why do people rush out and throw lots of unneeded plugins at their websites anyway? Take the basic code bed it in, run with it for a few weeks or months and then add one or 2 plugins at a time... Always test them on a non-live website first, never install them straight to your main website. I have a wish list of about 5 plugins and I've only bought 2 (after researching about them). My website has been live since November 2012.

Slowly, slowly catchee monkey.
The Forum post is edited by Dean L Feb 20 '13
Unique
Unique Feb 20 '13
Very bad news
Dean L
Dean L Feb 20 '13
Is it though? Even in its 'free' state the software is very very good.

My feeling is that Oxwall is still young. This issue of the plugins does need to be addressed and sorted out. Badly coded plugins, or plugins that just link to stuff that is free anyway (I'm not on about integrated software, just basic links) will damage Oxwall's reputation. That said though, even the free plugins I've installed have been really good and any problems have been dealt with by the developer after a quick email.
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Feb 20 '13
There is no doubt about Oxwall social community software is the best on the market. Its not easy though if you have no experience in understanding program languages. Some people come along and think they can have the next facebook etc. If your building a community site it does not build it self and there will be problems some pretty frustrating. It takes time and can take money. I have clients that are transferring from Wall.fm to Oxwall mainly because the run serious community sites. Most of the plugins I have tested are okay my problems are with the ones that are not okay nor well supported by the developers. I like the fact that now someone is writing honest and fair plugin reviews. As there must be some good quality control that's totally independent and fair. 

I really wish this guy had contacted me as I would of give him some guidance as it looks like he has been a bull in a china shop. Defiantly had not done research of which is a must. I had also come a crossed this guy blog site earlier this week. Thankfully there is little of this sort of thing though he is right some people can be a bit brash with ego's at times. Then the forum can put people off because of the technical issues about servers and script etc. I struggled a lot with that in the lurid past. But the help forums improved. lets hope there are not many of these disgruntled people in the future.     

Jacq
Jacq Feb 20 '13

Quote from Dean L Why do people rush out and throw lots of unneeded plugins at their websites anyway? Take the basic code bed it in, run with it for a few weeks or months

I agree.  I've been at it for several years.  Find your niche, what do YOUR USERS need and download plugins.  So many site are OVERLOADED.  Sorry there is no quick fix for a serious site.  Professional plugin developers (here  I can count them on one hand) will be willing to support you.  This is new software in its infancy.  Best wishes.
The Forum post is edited by Jacq Feb 20 '13
Exaspian Studios
Exaspian Studios Feb 20 '13
This entire thread makes me sick to my stomach.

Not only was this post rude, to say the least - but the poster on the blog was also highly misinformed.

What I don't understand is how you can go on a plugin "shopping spree" of sorts and not download any of the plugins you buy to test them or even read over their descriptions, look at their images and check out the reviews BEFORE you purchase it.

Further more I think that if you had something to say you should have come out and said it to the community rather than posting a link to your blog. Or did you just want the ad revenue?

In fact, don't even get me started on ad revenue! You complain that the MochiGames plugin has a small advert or 2 placed inside each game? What in the world did you expect?! MochiGames is a professional company that allows you to embed their games. "What does that mean?" It means that they need to earn views on their site to gain ad revenue and that they're willing to provide you with a professional service that can even interact with the UserCredits plugin and rather than thanking them or even taking into consideration the fact that they might also need money, you would rather look a gift horse in the mouth and write an angry blog post about it.

You sicken me.

The Forum post is edited by Exaspian Studios Feb 20 '13
Eddie Hakan
Eddie Hakan Apr 26 '13
well.. i also understand everybodies feeling.. me too.. i only dissapointed when oxwall comes to upgrade.. always got error.. and never can be fixed through oxwall support.. for me, it's it the main issue.. the main stream... secondly, the admin only like to move the topics.. and then the topic lost.. silent.. deleted..  sometime there's a topics but it seems to be linked to other topics... at the end.. no solution.. end up.. frustration.. 

fix that.. please.. thanks.
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Apr 26 '13
The beauty of people that complain is if there is a problem with a wonderful product in the end it will get sorted out. Yes people do rant off about bad service or things they did not understand.

Oxwall is open source and many people have been involved, within the foundation and outside of the foundation such as theme and plugin development. Seeing the open source is free and only services are paid for its turned out as a very nice professional package. My only beef is about a few of the plugins and as the software increases in its complexity bugs happen that is the reality. Not all sites are standard and hosts vary and people use different plugins.

Some people do not follow the instruction warning before updating, or recommendations after. So its can at times be a total headache I expect for those involved in admin on the help forum. So as you say it gets frustrating Eddie. Its mainly due to solutions sometimes very hard to spot, till someone puts their finger on it.

I can get very harsh concerning quality control, but also understand the problems of running a software house as I have run one in the past.

I do not believe that Oxwall should ever be reported as being a bad platform as a social community building software package. As it is simply the best in the free market place. I have tested most of the others over the past 4 years and feel my opinion on that holds much water.

Over the years I have had many opinion arguments with Emil and even with some of the other staff, the are always polite and respectful of all other opinions and often take advice that is offered. That is why Oxwall has been successful and this software is improving and its always going to have a few bugs. The software engineers are human and we humans do have a error ratio of 5 to 15% error margins. I tend to note that Oxwalls ratios are pretty low and have improved over the years. We can not expect perfect only very near to. Basically we do get that. 

I would honestly like to see other developers of open source software take on the professional politeness and dedication care of their clients. But that is another issue.

The Forum post is edited by Bob (Coder Whacker) Apr 26 '13
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) May 22 '18
I once really like this software but unfortunately I found I had far less problem using word press as I needed good article lay outs for over 6 years I advised people about how to get around the limitations of the wall and oxwall products on wall I was promised a free website for life. The promise was broken. I wanted oxwall to be cell phone friendly. possible that this product has actually now achieved that. Then the bloody crone fiasco I dont have any of those problems with Word press. I make that software almost make coffee. I get websites up in under 30 minutes. The only problem is the activity feed of which I must write a new plugin to get what I want to see is that Facebook look. I host about 34 websites with no messing around with bloody crone jobs. I think I might set up a oxwall site to see what they have now achieved out of what really was was the best product on the market but those days have gone unfortunately. Oxwall made things to difficult for many people to understand. Even those that did understand got fed up at upgrade time. They lost a lot of good developers. My own  code wacker site was missed by many people some old members still email even now. I did actual nearly complete my own social community software. But found Wordpress ideal  why reinvent the wheel. Best of luck to you all.               
Kadence
Kadence Apr 21 '22
A world with lovely beans is waiting for you. LOL Beans is a fantastic game in which you race and fight against other players to reach the finish line. Avoid being shoved off by others by dodging, weaving, and jumping through the obstacles. The game is a lot of fun, with cute graphics, a lot of regions and servers, a good team behind it, and a lot of different obstacles and stages.
james
james Jul 27 '22

This is a very well-written and informative post. In my opinion, this is one of the very best posts that has ever been published. Your work is outstanding, and it motivates me to do better. Please accept my sincere gratitude. run 3

The Forum post is edited by james Jul 27 '22
Julie John
Julie John Sep 27 '22

I am a news reader and writer and I definitely would say that this app is the best out there. I've used other apps over the years but none of them compared to news. We even have 2 named articles for different topics on our team, one named "the news busters" and another named "news" (you know, so we could read it in one place).

Moller
Moller Jan 10

At BESO Aesthetics in NYC, we redefine beauty without requiring surgery. Experience the allure of a non-surgical Brazilian Butt Lift. To enhance and sculpt your contours, our skilled practitioners use state-of-the-art techniques that offer a safe and efficient substitute for conventional operations. With our individualized technique, which is designed to fulfill your specific aesthetic goals, experience the transformation that boosts your confidence. At https://besoaesthetics.com/non-surgical-brazilian-butt-lift, your comfort and safety come first, so getting the gorgeous contours you want will be easy and painless. With our Brazilian Butt Lift options, embrace a non-invasive route to a more contoured profile.

The Forum post is edited by Moller Jan 17