We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Why the blatant false advertising about wall.fm It is not free! [moderated] | Forum

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Mar 15 '13
Wall.fm is not free.  It is a blatant lie.  Why do you have that garbage on your front page.  Such blatant false advertising is causing me to seriously doubt whether to use your software.
The Forum post is edited by Den Mar 29 '13
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Mar 19 '13
Its become obvious that like Ning the initial period of the wall.fm project using the flirtation of free sites was to get high volume users to aid development the package. New clients have to beg paying clients for a free sites as far as I know only one person is actual taking time to issue free site codes (Me).

We first see the first part of the plot by making the free accounts less attractive by restricting size of disk space and bandwidth. Then the organization trying to make the paid plans being more attractive. Then stage two a ploy to make free sites less attractive. Yes I totally agree the advertizing is deceptive. Originally before I suggested that a forum yes a new forum was opened on the wall.fm help forum. There was no way anyone could get a free site code. There was instead of a new forum a new topic, lol.

I suspected that I would be the only guy giving away free codes that no other developers would want to take the time. I am now considering should I be helping people to get free codes and stepping aside so this deceit is more highlighted. I would guess a few people will write some bad write ups about wall.fm and publish them in on line computer magazines etc. In the very near future. This smug idea will be revealed as it really should.

My beef is I left the Ning platform because Ning broke a promise, thinking that Wall.fm was more honorable. But after 2 year plus we have started to see deceit. I like many others have switched over to Oxwall.

The reason for most long time developers switched to Oxwall is to do with the terrible service on the wall.fm network. The product was switching from a alpha product to a beta product and back again. Server down time was dreadful, basically not worthy of paying for nor still is worthy for paying for paid plans. Over the 2 plus years of operation after switching from Ning to Wall.fm, On my Citizen Journalist site I lost most of my active users and friends due to the problems constant bugs, down time and totally bad service.

In my opinion its best to use Oxwall and be totally in control of your own site. One really needs to splash out for good hosting if your serious about running a good stable social community site. If you want a free expect poor service, if your want better service don't expect paid plans on wall.fm network to be the answer as after a while you will be tearing your hair out and losing your users constantly.

The sad thing is the software is the best of its kind and of course new clients will fall into the trap of paying for services on the wall.fm network.

For me this is a point I have to sit back and think should I keep my hobby of helping people on the wall.fm help forum. Or just run Codewacker.com to help new developers of Oxwall?

I am also annoyed at the advertizement like your self to much deception. I have of course a free ultimate plan site on the wall.fm platform. However its really not worth the time of administrating. Most of my sites are on the Oxwall platform of which in my opinion was and is the best thing I have done.

I am totally disappointed with wall.fm  and not giving out anymore free site codes I do not want to be part of this deception.

The Forum post is edited by Den Apr 2 '13
Unique
Unique Mar 19 '13
Why post it here? Not in wall.fm forum?
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Mar 20 '13
Quote from Unique Why post it here? Not in wall.fm forum?

Because oxwall has a link to the false advertising site on their main page.  One is greeted with false-advertising at wall.fm
Purusothaman Ramanujam

Steve,

My personal opinion.

1) May I know where does in the oxwall main page, its mentieond that wall.fm is free? I could not find any such text.

2) As far as I know wall.fm was free, atleast with some basic features.

3) Moreover its there business. If you are not okay with that, don't use.

4) If you still think Oxwall is promoting themeself by Wall.fm, who does not do self-promotion, as its happening in this post?

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Mar 22 '13
I believe that since my first post Oxwall corrected their site.  However they still have a link to wall.fm which continues to engage in blatant false advertising.

Wow, you're the one who writes the awesome plugins!  I already bought two of them.  Keep up the great work!!!!

Regards,

Steve

Den Team
Den Mar 29 '13

Please note, Wall.fm is the independent, commercial project from the separate company. Oxwall Foundation isn't responsible for business. It's listed on the site as a hosted version of Oxwall for those who can't be bothered with buying hosting accounts, installing software and stuff. And frankly, those are the majority.

As we know, they applied a new pricing policy last time. I have updated info about wall.fm on the site index due to this changes, to avoid any users confusion. 

This topic is locked